"Independent" can mean several different things:
1. Not governed by a foreign power; self-governing.
2. Free from the influence, guidance, or control of another or others; self-reliant: an independent mind.
3. Not determined or influenced by someone or something else; not contingent: a decision independent of the outcome of the study.
4. often Independent Affiliated with or loyal to no one political party or organization.
5. Not dependent on or affiliated with a larger or controlling entity: an independent food store; an Independent film.
a. Not relying on others for support, care, or funds; self-supporting.
b. Providing or being sufficient income to enable one to live without working: a person of independent means.
a. Not dependent on other variables.
b. Of or relating to a system of equations no one of which can be derived from another equation in the system.
8. Independent Of or relating to the 17th-century English Independents.
1. often Independent One that is independent, especially a Independent voter, officeholder, or political candidate who is not committed to a political party.
2. Independent A member of a movement in England in the 17th century advocating the political and religious independence of individual congregations.