Inigo Jones

From Conservapedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Inigo Jones (1573-1652), English architect, designer and courtier, more than any other figure, created the “look” of the English townscape for well over 100 years. Starting in the Jacobean era (he was created surveyor of the King’s works in 1615) he introduced a modified version of the functional architectural style of the Italian architect Andrea Palladio into the country.

Only seven of his 45 works survive, most notably the St. Paul’s church at Covent Garden, but his style - “neo-Palladian" - took off 50 years after his death and – now known as “Georgian” - was to define the architecture of the towns and cities of England (and many of the great buildings in colonial America, and the nascent republic) until the Victorian period.


Reference:

“Oxford Companion to British History”

Personal tools