The United States Intelligence Community (IC) is the official euphemism given to the 16 member intelligence community that loosely reports to the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI). ODNI, and its head, the Director of National Intelligence (DNI), replaced the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and Director of Central Intelligence (DCI) as the central collection point of intelligence in a series of supposed reforms following the 9/11 Commission Report.
The 16 members of the IC are:
- Defense Intelligence Agency
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- National Reconnaissance Office
- National Security Agency
- Military Intelligence Corps
- Office of Naval Intelligence
- Twenty-Fifth Air Force
- Marine Corps Intelligence
- DHS Coast Guard Intelligence
- DHS Office of Intelligence and Analysis
- Central Intelligence Agency
- State Dept. Bureau of Intelligence and Research
- Treasury Dept. Office of Terrorism and Financial Intelligence
- DEA Office of National Security Intelligence
- FBI Intelligence Branch
- Dept. of Energy Office of Intelligence and Counterintelligence
Critics sometimes refer to elements of the Deep State residing in the Intelligence Community. The Snowden revelations uncovered massive illegal abuses, 4th Amendment violations, and unaccountability to Congress, the Supreme Court, and the White House. Since the CIA demotion as the central collector of intelligence, the CIA has become even more unhinged in its involvement in sparking the Libyan War, training and equipping the Islamic State, starting the Syrian War with its resultant European migrant crisis, arranging the purchase of the Washington Post through Amazon.com as a front to influence US domestic policy, politics, and public opinion, and the manufactured Trump-Russia scare to seize control of the foreign policy prerogative of the president and dictate it themselves, unelected, unaccountable to no one, with the ability to blackmail anyone, including Members of Congress, Supreme Court Justices, Presidents and their staff with IC's unlimited electronic surveillance capabilities.
- 21 June 2012. New York Times reports "C.I.A. officers are operating secretly in southern Turkey, helping allies decide which Syrian opposition fighters across the border will receive arms to fight the Syrian government...[weapons] are being funneled mostly across the Turkish border by way of a shadowy network of intermediaries including Syria’s Muslim Brotherhood and paid for by Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar."
- *The CIA’s affront to Trump: Withholding a security clearance is a means of challenging presidential policy, Washington Times, February 15, 2016
- Daniel Ellsberg, in responding to a question about why should people care, said: "Do they really believe that real democracy is viable, when one branch of government, the Executive, knows or can know every detail of every private communication (or credit card transaction, or movement) of: every journalist; every source to every journalist; every member of Congress and their staffs; every judge, at every level up to the Supreme Court? Do they think that every one of these people "has nothing to hide," nothing that could be used to blackmail them or manipulate them, or neutralize their dissent to Executive policies, or influence voting behavior? Is investigative journalism, or aggressive Congressional investigation of the Executive, or court restraints on Executive practices, really possible with that amount of transparency to the Executive of their private and professional lives and associations? And without any of those checks, the kind of democracy you have is that of the German Democratic Republic in East Germany, with its Stasi (which had a miniscule fraction of the surveillance capability the NSA has now, but enough to turn a fraction of the population of East Germany into secret Stasi informants)." https://freedom.press/news-advocacy/highlights-from-daniel-ellsbergas-reddit-ama-on-edward-snowden-and-nsa-surveillance/