Islamic State (IS) (formerly known as Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS)) is a terrorist organization that operates in Iraq and Syria. Founded by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, it grew out of al Qaeda in Iraq and the former name ISIS has been used since its split and rebuke by al Qaeda commanders in April 2013 for excess brutality. Its current leader is Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. IS currently fights non-Muslims, the Iraqi Army and Kurdish Peshmerga troops.
- ↑ http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/07/iraq-christians-told-convert-face-death-2014718111040982432.html
- ↑ http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/06/10/229948/some-answers-about-the-islamic.html#emlnl=Morning_Newsletter
- ↑ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24179084
- ↑ http://www.euronews.com/2014/08/12/kurdish-peshmerga-troops-plead-for-weapons-to-fight-islamic-state-militants/
- ↑ http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/majid-rafizadeh/killings-of-christians-by-islamists-doubled-in-2013/
- ↑ http://www.aina.org/news/20140627135156.htm