Jagdpanther

From Conservapedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The JagdPanther (Hunting Panther), also known as the Panzerjäger V Jagdpanther Sd. Kfz. 173, was a tank destroyer based on the Panther tank. In World War II, Germany had success using the chassis of their existing Panzers as the basis for self-propelled weapons (SPWs). It was designed by Daimler-Benz. However, production was through MIAG (Muhlenbau-Industrie AG) in Braunschweig, Maschinenfabrik Niedersachsen-Hannover (MNH) and Maschinenbau und Bahnbedarf (MBA).

The JagdPanther carried the PaK 43 88 mm (or 8.8 cm) L/71 gun on the superb Panther chassis. It was the same gun used thereafter for the King Tiger tank. It also mounted a single MG-34 machine gun on the front right side of the superstructure. The superstructure itself was box-like in appearance with well armored, sloped sides. It had a crew of five and a top speed of 28.5 mph. These hunter-killer tanks were often placed into special units. It was the best tank destroyer produced by the Germans. Its first shot was often the last shot needed to destroy even the heavy Soviet JS-1 tank in the east or any Allied tank in the West. This 45.5-ton Panzer was one of the most stable gun platforms made. Approximately 415 to 425 were produced from the first prototypes in late 1943 to the end of the war in Europe.

Jagdpanzer V JAGDPANTHER:

  • L: 687 cm
  • B: 328 cm
  • H: 272 cm
  • HP: 700
  • Wt.: 45.5 tons
  • A: 80 mm frontal

References

  • Chamberlain, Peter. Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two, (1999).
Personal tools