Jaime Herrera Beutler
|Jaime Herrera Beutler|
|U.S. Representative from Washington's 3rd District|
From: January 3, 2011
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
Jaime Herrera Beutler (surname pronounced "Butler"; born November 3, 1973 in Glendale, California) is a Republican member of the 112th Congress serving in the U.S. House of Representatives for Washington's 3rd Congressional District. Congresswoman Herrera Beutler has represented Washington’s 3rd congressional district since 2011, succeeding retired Democrat Brian Baird. She is the first Latina to represent Washington state. Jaime Herrera Beutler grew up in Southwest Washington, attended the University of Washington earning her B.A. degree in Communications, and currently lives with her husband Daniel Beutler in Camas, Washington. Jaime was homeschooled through ninth grade. 
Congresswoman Herrera Beutler is an outspoken opponent of both the federal stimulus bills and ObamaCare, and she has acknowledged feeling "let down" by Republicans as well as Democrats regarding their failure to get federal spending under control, according to reports by Newsmax magazine. She has also called for extending the Bush tax cuts permanently. In the January 2011 issue of Newsmax magazine was a review of 12 stand out freshmen representatives (out of more than 72 new members) in Congress, which included Jaime Herrera Beutler, listing her as one of the "12 stars of the freshmen class."
First Bill as a State Representative
Before becoming Washington state’s new representative in Congress, Herrera Beutler served as a state representative since 2006. Herrera Beutler's first bill as a state representative was a bipartisan proposal to give tax relief to business owners serving in the military, and was signed into law on March 27, 2008.
First Bill as a Member of Congress
Jaime Herrera Beutler officially introduced her first bill as a member of Congress on March 10, 2011, entitled the "Savings Start With Us" Act of 2011. Her first bill will save taxpayers millions of dollars by cutting salaries of members of Congress, the President and Vice President of the United States by 10-percent.
In Congress, Jaime Herrera Beutler currently serves on the House Committee on Appropriations. Jaime is also a member of the House Committee on Small Business.
House Committee on Appropriations
- Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government
- Subcommittee on Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing, and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
House Committee on Small Business
- Subcommittee on Health Care and Technology
- Subcommittee on Investigations, Oversight and Regulations
Congressional Caucuses and Organizations
- Congressional Caucus for Women's Issues (Chair)
- Women and the Economy/Business Task Force (Co-chair)
- House Energy Action Team (HEAT)
- Jaime Herrera Beutler from an interview with Time magazine:
|“||Congress is spending money in an attempt to get us out of this economic crisis, not realizing that overspending is the crisis.||”|
- Herrera Beutler said the following after officially introducing her first bill as a Member of Congress:
|“||We’ve voted to reduce our massive deficit by billions in order to create a better environment for job creators – but we haven’t cut a dime from our own paychecks. The savings ought to start with us.||”|
- ↑ http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/dec/22/its-now-jaime-herrera-beutler/
- ↑ http://herrerabeutler.house.gov/about-me/full-biography
- ↑ Jaime Herrera Beutler, FamousHomeschoolers.net
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Andrew Stiles and Katrina Trinko. "12 Stars of the Freshmen Class." Newsmax magazine, Jan 2011: 59.
- ↑ http://houserepublicans.wa.gov/members/jaime-herrera/
- ↑ To provide for a 10 percent reduction in pay for Members of Congress, the President, and the Vice President. H.R. 1012: Savings Start With Us Act of 2011, govtrack.us, (Accessed April 20, 2011).
- ↑ http://herrerabeutler.house.gov/press-release/herrera-beutler-proposes-10-salary-cut-congress-white-house
- ↑ http://herrerabeutler.house.gov/Biography/Committees.htm
- ↑ http://herrerabeutler.house.gov/press-release/herrera-beutler-introduces-her-first-bill-congress
- Jaime Herrera Beutler - Congresswoman for the 3rd District of Washington
- Voting Record - Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler
- JaimeHerreraBeutler - Twitter
- Jaime Herrera - Facebook
- Local View: Herrera ready for new role as congresswoman - op-ed about Jaime Herrera's priorities for serving Southwest Washington
- YouTube channel