|7th Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation|
From: September 4, 2013 – May 9, 2017
|Predecessor||Andrew McCabe (acting)|
|Successor||Robert S. Mueller|
James Brien Comey Jr. (December 14, 1960) is a former Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) appointed by Barack Obama on September 4, 2013, and a lawyer. He admitted to leaking information about a confidential discussion he had with President Donald Trump.
Between December 9, 2003, and August 15, 2005, he served as United States Deputy Attorney General under the administration of president George W. Bush.
Comey once was a member of the Republican Party but later became an independent. Comey built his career and reputation among leftists prosecuting the cases of Martha Stewart, Steven Hatfield (the Anthrax case), Scooter Libby, and Dinesh D'Souza.
During the presidential elections in 2016, he investigated the Hillary Clinton email scandal, which has been seen as a main factor of the loss by the Democrats and Clinton blamed Comey for her failed campaign. Comey exonerated Clinton during the campaign, but it was reported afterward that he chose to exonerate her long before he even interviewed her for the investigation.
Comey began the FBI's Trump-Russia scandal investigation.
Although originally not planning on asking him to resign, President Donald Trump, at the recommendation of Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, fired Comey for being unfit to serve in the position. Democrats and liberals were dismayed at the decision, but it showed that Trump was serious about shaking up D.C. and "draining the swamp."
- Shaw, Adam (October 18, 2017). James Comey Drafted Statement Ending Hillary Clinton Email Probe Months Before Interviewing Her. Breitbart News. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- Rodriguez, Katherine (April 12, 2017). Trump Does Not Intend to Ask FBI Director James Comey to Resign. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- Noble, Andrea; Dinan, Stephen (May 9, 2017). Trump fires FBI Director James Comey. The Washington Times. Retrieved May 9, 2017.
- Trump fires FBI Director Comey. Fox News. May 9, 2017. Retrieved May 9, 2017.
- Nussbaum, Daniel (May 9, 2017). Trump Fires FBI Director James Comey. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 9, 2017.
- Nussbaum, Daniel (May 9, 2017). Celebrities Melt Down Over Comey Firing: ‘Full Blown Constitutional Crisis’. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- Trump defends Comey firing, says ousted FBI director 'wasn't doing a good job'. Fox News. May 10, 2017. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- Boyle, Matthew (May 10, 2017). The Unconventional President: Donald Trump Shakes Washington to Its Core by Firing Comey. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 10, 2017.