|U.S. Senator from West Virginia|
From: November 15, 2010 – Present
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
|34th Governor of West Virginia|
From: January 17, 2005 – November 15, 2010
|Successor||Earl Ray Tomblin|
|27th West Virginia Secretary of State|
From: January 15, 2001 – January 17, 2005
Joseph Manchin was elected in November 2010 as the United States Senator from West Virginia, filling the seat formerly held by the late Robert Byrd. Because Manchin was filling a vacant seat in a special election, he was sworn in almost immediately and then participated in the lame duck session of Congress prior to 2011.
Manchin was previously the Governor of West Virginia.
However, in 2016, Manchin expressed his willingness to work with Republican President Donald Trump, and voted for most of his cabinet nominations, and for Neil Gorsuch. However, whenever a close vote for a conservative bill or a Trump Administration nominee was held, Manchin took the liberal Democrat position.
It was reported in April 2017 that less than 2% of Manchin's campaign donations actually came from his state of West Virginia.
Support for abortion
In April 2017, Manchin endorsed Planned Parenthood, which funds abortions, the legalized murder of the unborn. Less than a month earlier, he voted against eliminating a pro-abortion Obama-era regulation prohibiting states from blocking Planned Parenthood funds.
- Scher, Brent (April 20, 2017). Less Than 2% of Joe Manchin’s Campaign Donations Came From West Virginia. The Washington Free Beacon. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- Hawkins, Awr (July 11, 2017). Joe Manchin Denies Knowing His Donors, Yet He Attended Bloomberg Fundraiser. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- Berry, Susan (April 22, 2017). ‘Pro-Life’ Sen. Joe Manchin Poses in Support of Planned Parenthood. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- Swan, Jonathan (May 8, 2017). Joe Manchin's tightrope on Planned Parenthood. Axios. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- Ertelt, Steve (April 24, 2017). “Pro-Life” Democrat Senator Joe Manchin Caught Holding “I Stand With Planned Parenthood” Sign. LifeNews.com. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- Ross, Chuck (May 9, 2017). Photos Show Sen. Joe Manchin Is A Planned Parenthood Poseur. The Daily Caller. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- Schor, Elana (May 14, 2017). Abortion politics hound senators from both parties. Politico. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- Dinan, Stephen (March 30, 2017). Senate passes bill to let states strip funding from Planned Parenthood. The Washington Times. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- Profile in the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress