|U.S. Senator from West Virginia|
From: November 15, 2010 – Present
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
|34th Governor of West Virginia|
From: January 17, 2005 – November 15, 2010
|Successor||Earl Ray Tomblin|
|27th West Virginia Secretary of State|
From: January 15, 2001 – January 17, 2005
Joseph Manchin was elected in November 2010 as the United States Senator from West Virginia, filling the seat formerly held by the late Robert Byrd. Because Manchin was filling a vacant seat in a special election, he was sworn in almost immediately and then participated in the lame duck session of Congress prior to 2011. Manchin was previously the Governor of West Virginia.
It was reported in April 2017 that less than 2% of Manchin's campaign donations actually came from his state of West Virginia.
Manchin portrayed himself as a "conservative" in order to be elected, campaigning against the positions of the Democratic Party leadership on cap and trade, gun control, and the Bush tax cuts. As a Senator, however, he has shown himself to be left-wing. Manchin displays liberal values not only in his beliefs, but also in his behavior, using vulgar language in public.
In 2016, Manchin expressed (in words) his willingness to work with Republican President Donald Trump, and voted for most of his cabinet nominations, and for Neil Gorsuch. This earned him ire from left-wingers, who showed how left-wing they themselves are by demanding his removal from his leadership position and labeling him a "Democrat in name only," despite his numerous liberal positions. However, whenever a close vote for a conservative bill or a Trump Administration nominee was held, Manchin took the liberal Democrat position. He voted against many Trump non-cabinet nominees.
President Trump, however, rejected the notion that Manchin is a bipartisan politician, saying that "he talks. But he doesn’t do anything." Also according to Trump, Manchin's attitude is "'hey, let’s get together, let’s do bipartisan.' I [Trump] say, 'Good, let’s go.' Then you don’t hear from him [Manchin] again."
Support for gun control
Manchin has a record of supporting gun control measures, despite being from a conservative state known for its opposition to gun regulations. In 2013, Manchin sponsored a bill that would have instituted universal background checks, and in April 2017 he stated his hope that President Donald Trump would sign gun control measures. Despite these positions, his attending pro-gun control fundraisers, and the NRA's rejection of him, Manchin continued presenting himself as a "pro-gun" candidate to West Virginia voters.
Liberal, anti-gun donors
It was reported in 2017 that Manchin received donations from the law firm Paul, Weiss, which had a record of supporting gun control and defending terrorists in court.
Support for abortion
In April 2017, Manchin endorsed Planned Parenthood, which funds abortions, the legalized murder of the unborn. Less than a month earlier, he voted against eliminating a pro-abortion Obama-era regulation prohibiting states from blocking Planned Parenthood funds.
- Scher, Brent (April 20, 2017). Less Than 2% of Joe Manchin’s Campaign Donations Came From West Virginia. The Washington Free Beacon. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- Weaver, Al (August 7, 2017). Joe Manchin: 'I don't give a s--t' if I win re-election. Washington Examiner. Retrieved August 7, 2017.
- Thomsen, Jacqueline (August 7, 2017). Manchin: 'I don't give a s---' if I win reelection. The Hill. Retrieved August 7, 2017.
- Chakraborty, Barnini (August 7, 2017). Manchin says he doesn't give a s--- about getting reelected. Fox News. Retrieved August 7, 2017.
- Chaitin, Daniel (December 28, 2017). Trump tears into Joe Manchin: 'He talks. But he doesn't do anything'. Breitbart News. Retrieved December 28, 2017.
- Moran, Sean (December 29, 2017). Trump Trashes Sen. Joe Manchin’s Unwillingness to Compromise: ‘He Talks, but He Doesn’t Do Anything’. Breitbart News. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- Hawkins, Awr (April 21, 2017). Joe Manchin: Trump Has the ‘Fortitude’ to Make Senate Pass Gun Control. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 2, 2017.
- Hawkins, AWR (January 26, 2018). Joe Manchin Tries to Run for Re-Election as Pro-Gun Candidate Rejected by NRA. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- Hawkins, Awr (July 11, 2017). Joe Manchin Denies Knowing His Donors, Yet He Attended Bloomberg Fundraiser. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- Persons, Sally (July 28, 2017). Joe Manchin received donations from law firm pushing for gun control. The Washington Times. Retrieved July 28, 2017.
- Berry, Susan (April 22, 2017). ‘Pro-Life’ Sen. Joe Manchin Poses in Support of Planned Parenthood. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- Swan, Jonathan (May 8, 2017). Joe Manchin's tightrope on Planned Parenthood. Axios. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- Ertelt, Steve (April 24, 2017). “Pro-Life” Democrat Senator Joe Manchin Caught Holding “I Stand With Planned Parenthood” Sign. LifeNews.com. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- Ross, Chuck (May 9, 2017). Photos Show Sen. Joe Manchin Is A Planned Parenthood Poseur. The Daily Caller. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- Schor, Elana (May 14, 2017). Abortion politics hound senators from both parties. Politico. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- Dinan, Stephen (March 30, 2017). Senate passes bill to let states strip funding from Planned Parenthood. The Washington Times. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- Profile in the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress