|Assistant Attorney General for National Security|
From: April 2014 through October 2016
John P. Carlin was the Assistant Attorney General for the Department of Justice National Security Division (DOJ-NSD) under President Barack Obama while the Russian collusion hoax was promulgated in 2015-16. Carlin abruptly resigned the day after being forced to admit to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court that the Obama Justice Department perpetrated a massive fraud upon the Judiciary and had violated the civil rights of American citizens.
Carlin essentially did a "kamikaze dive" in assuring the Obama administration's "insurance policy" against the election of Donald Trump would move forward. Carlin withheld from the FISA court critical details of an NSA Inspector General report, and an ongoing Compliance review, that the FBI and its contractors were engaged in Fourth Amendment violations of the rights of Americans. Carlin quit just days before the FISA warrant on Carter Page was submitted and approved. Two days later, the NSA informed the Court that the Obama Department of Justice and FBI had been abusing the FISA process since at least 2011. The warrant approved two days earlier against Carter Page gave the FBI FISA Title I authority throughout the duration of the Trump transition, and authority to apply the same extensive intrusions upon anyone Carter Page had phone, email or text contact with.
Carlin personally attended an October 4, 2016 FISA court hearing, and left the DOJ on October 15. NSA Director Adm. Mike Rogers informed the FISA court on October 23 of a pattern of FISA abuse in the Obama FBI and among contractors dating back months and years. The court ascribed the Obama DOJ-NSD failure to disclose the abuses at the October 4 hearing, which Carlin attended, to an institutional “lack of candor” and emphasized that “this is a very serious Fourth Amendment issue.” In the interim, the Obama DOJ secured a FISA Title I warrant on Carter Page based on spurious opposition research paid for by Hillary Clinton and the DNC.
Carter PageOn March 11, 2016 Carlin and Preet Bharara of the Southern District of New York (SDNY) couldn't help but toot their own horn in a DOJ press release upon the conviction of Evgeny Buryakov, an SVR agent for the Russian Federation. Another SVR agent, Igor Sporyshev, fled the country. The press release noted,
The FBI obtained recordings after Sporyshev attempted to recruit an FBI undercover employee (“UCE-1”), who was posing as an analyst from a New York-based energy company. In response to requests from Sporyshev, UCE-1 provided Sporyshev with binders containing purported industry analysis written by UCE-1 and supporting documentation relating to UCE-1’s reports, as well as covertly placed recording devices. Sporyshev then took the binders to, among other places, the Residentura.
Government operatives later leaked "FBI undercover employee (“UCE-1”)" to the media as Carter Page. In other words, John Carlin knew Carter Page was not a Russian agent, yet that did not stop Carlin from preparing a FISA warrant in October 2016 to intrude upon his rights as an American citizen by hoaxing the FISA court into believing that Carter Page was an agent of Russia.
Carlin joined the DOJ-NSD after serving as Chief of Staff and Senior Counsel to Robert S. Mueller III, Director of the FBI. Carlin previously served as National Coordinator of DOJ’s Computer Hacking and Intellectual Property (CHIP) program and as an Assistant United States Attorney (AUSA) for the District of Columbia.
- The Obama Camp’s Disingenuous Denials on FISA Surveillance of Trump By ANDREW C. MCCARTHY, National Review, March 5, 2017.
- John Carlin – The Former NSD Head Who Enabled the FBI’s Carter Page FISA Warrant, May 21, 2018 by Jeff Carlson, CFA.
- Secret TEXTS Show FBI, DOJ May Have RUSHED Anti-Trump FISA Warrant, Sara Carter, April 11, 2018.
- The Obama Administration's 'Brazen Plot To Exonerate Hillary Clinton' Starting To Seep Out, Daily Caller News Foundation.
- Declassified Top Secret Report Details Spying on Americans, By Joshua Philipp, The Epoch Times, May 31, 2017
- FBI obtained FISA warrant to monitor former Trump adviser Carter Page By Ellen Nakashima, Devlin Barrett, Adam Entous, Washington Post, April 11, 2017
- Obama intel agency secretly conducted illegal searches on Americans for years, Circa, May 23, 2017
- Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) Memorandum and Opinion approving the 2016 Section 702 Certifications (dated April 26, 2017), p. 19.
- Institutional Lack of Candor – FISA Violations A primer on recent unauthorized activity by the Intelligence Community, January 24, 2018. Demand Progress.
- Intelligence Committee Reveals Weakly Sourced Doc Used for FISA Application, Sara Carter, February 2, 2018
- DOJ Press Release, Southern District of New York, March 11, 2016.
- In a letter to Congress Page wrote "Illegal leaking of my identity as “Male-1” [UCE-1 or FBI Undercover Employee-1 in court documents] in U.S.A. v. Evgeny Buryakov, Igor Sporyshev, and Victor Podobnyy – On April 3, 2017, reporters at ABC News3 and BuzzFeed News4 requested to meet in order to inform me that U.S. government operatives had unlawfully disclosed my identity as Male-1 in this 2015 case." Carter Page letter to Senate Intel Committee, May 7, 2017, p. 2.