Established in 1948 by Beatrice Joyce Kean, heir to the lumber fortune created by David Joyce, the Joyce Foundation is one of the largest foundations in the United States. The organization is based in Chicago, Illinois. Like the Ford Foundation, the family influence on the foundation waned after the death of its founder in 1972 and once the family was no longer involved with the organization.
President Barack Obama served on the board of Joyce Foundation from 1994 to 2002. The foundation was linked to a controversial program to influence legal scholarship by giving large grants to major universities with the goal of having law students write law review articles supporting the Joyce Foundation’s leftist ideology regarding gun control. Obama was involved in the wealthy foundation’s attempt to manipulate the Supreme Court, buy legal scholarship, and obliterate the individual right to arms. The goal was to influence the legal material used by the Supreme Court during its review of current scholarly writings on the gun control issue.
Joyce Foundation has $773 million in assets. The group is known for its pro-gun control stance and heavily supports several anti-gun groups such as Violence Policy Center. Additionally, it supports numerous far-left not-for-profit organizations such as National Public Radio, Environmental Defense Fund, Pew Charitable Trusts, AFL-CIO Working for America Institute and George Soros-backed groups such as Media Matters for America, run by David Brock who openly “declared war” on Fox News and Center for American Progress run by John Podesta, former White House Chief of Staff and close friend of Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton.
Joyce Foundation's Board of Directors and Leadership:
- John T. Anderson, Chairman
- Charles U. Daly, Vice Chairman
- Ellen S. Alberding, President
- José B. Alvarez
- Robert G. Bottoms
- Anthony S. Earl
- Roger R. Fross
- Carlton L. Guthrie
- Daniel P. Kearney
- Tracey L. Meares
- Margot M. Rogers
- Paula Wolff
- Joyce Foundation website “About Us” page
- Top 100 U.S. Foundations by Asset Size
- Obama Years Ago Helped Fund Carbon Program He Is Now Pushing Through Congress
- Joyce Foundation, Obama, and Heller v. D.C
- Obama and the Attempt to Destroy the Second Amendment
- Joyce Foundation bio
- The Joyce Foundation's donations retrieved from Guidestar, the database of IRS filings filed by non-profit organizations.
- Media Matters' war against Fox