|U.S. Representative from Minnesota's 5th District|
From: January 3, 2007-Present
|Predecessor||Martin Olav Sabo|
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
Democrat Keith Ellison, born August 4, 1963 (age 50), is the first Muslim to serve in the United States Congress. He represents the 5th Congressional District of Minnesota. Born in Detroit, Michigan, he converted to Islam while in college. Ellison is quite controversial due to his past ties with the radical Nation of Islam; he has also been accused of having had "involvement" in anti-Semitism. In 2007, Mr. Ellison compared the Bush Administration to Nazi Germany. Ellison says he is both Muslim and pro-gay.
It is traditional for newly-sworn members of the House of Representatives to repeat their oaths with their hand on a Bible for photographers. When Ellison was ceremonially "sworn-in," he used a Quran that once belonged to Thomas Jefferson.
Ellison went to a Islamic hajj pilgrimage to Mecca this past winter, becoming the first U.S. congressman to make the pilgrimage. After claiming he paid for the trip, it was determined to be paid for by a U.S. group tied to Muslim extremists, the Muslim American Society of Minnesota.  A group founded by the Muslim Brotherhood, which Ellison claims not to know anything about. 
The House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly to defund ACORN, 345-75 on September 17, 2009. Seventy-five Democrats [Ellison] stood with ACORN and voted no.  This despite nationwide attention related to voter fraud and recent revelation of ACORN's ties to prostitution including child trafficking and defrauding the IRS.
- ↑ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/10/AR2006091000951.html
- ↑ http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289157,00.html
- ↑ http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2013/10/25/accountability/legislative/congressman-muslim-pro-gay/
- ↑ http://www.beliefnet.com/story/206/story_20604_1.html
- ↑ http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8MEPKIG0&show_article=1
- ↑ Keith Ellison's office hangs up on WND WorldNetDaily, June 17, 2009
- ↑ I Don’t Know Anything About The Muslim Brotherhood, Weasel Zippers, July 22, 2012
- ↑ House votes to cut off funding, but 75 stand by ACORN, Washington Examiner, September 17, 2009