Latino atheism and intelligence
Given their small proportion of the Latino population and the antipathy many Latinos have against atheists, social scientists have shown little interests in studying the IQs/intelligence of Latino atheists. This is not entirely surprising. In the United States (a religious region), Dr. Melanie Brewster, gave a talk entitled Why is Psychology Silent When it Comes to Atheism? and she indicated there is a general reluctance of psychologists to study the atheist population. See also: Views on atheists
National IQ of Cuba compared to more religious Latino countries
The national IQ scores given below for Latino xountries comes from the work carried out from 2002 to 2006 by Richard Lynn, a British Professor of Psychology, and Tatu Vanhanen, a Finnish Professor of Political Science, who performed IQ studies in more than 80 countries.
In Argentina, where 10.3% describe themselves as atheist, agnostics, or having no religion, the national IQ is 93. In addition, the more religious Latino countries of Chile, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Mexico and Bolivia also have higher national IQ scores than Cuba.
After the 1959 communist revolution, the government of Cuba did not restrict religious practice to the extent that was done in the Soviet Union. However, the large atheist population in Cuba compared to other Latino nations, was caused by its communist history (see: Atheism and communism).
In addition, religious individuals were not allowed to join the Cuban Communist Party due to religion being incompatible to the party's Marxist philosophy.
- Why is Psychology Silent When it Comes to Atheism? - Dr. Melanie Brewster - Skepticon 7
- WORLD RANKING OF COUNTRIES BY THEIR AVERAGE
- Book Review: IQ and the Wealth of Nations, Nature
- Controversial study of African IQ levels is 'deeply flawed', Science Daily, January 21, 2010
- Religion in Cuba
- "Encuesta CONICET sobre creencias" (PDF). 6 August 2008. A very detailed survey on belief and religious practice f life. (Spanish)