Lee Park

From Conservapedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Lee Park is a public park located at 3400 Turtle Creek Blvd. in Dallas, Texas, named for Confederate General Robert E. Lee. On September 14, 2017, Dallas municipal officials had the six-ton Lee statue in the park removed to an undisclosed location. The statue was erected in 1936, with U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt speaking at the dedication.

After removal was voted upon by the Dallas City Council, several temporary delays were overcome. Without the original design plans of the sculpture unavailable, crews first deployed a crane that was too small for the tall statue. Another delay occurred when a conservative group obtained a temporary injunction halting removal. The injunction was lifted the next day. The second crane to be brought from Houston was damaged in a deadly accident near the park caused by a drunk driver, who ran through the barricades surrounding the statue. According to the Dallas Morning News, the unidentified company removing the statue had its labeling and license plate shielded so that opponents of the removal of the statue could not retaliate against the firm.[1] On September 1, 2017, the company removing a "Lest We Forget" statue of an unidentified Confederate soldier in San Antonio's Travis Park also had its logo hidden from view.

Lee Park is the home of Arlington Hall, an elegant meeting place named for General Lee's residence, Arlington House, in Virginia. There is also the Arlington Hall Conservancy.[2]

Reference

  1. Dallas Finally Removes Robert E. Lee Statue: Your Texas Roundup. Texas Monthly (September 15, 2017).
  2. Lee Park and Arlington House Conservacy. leeparkconservancy.org. Retrieved on September 15, 2017.