Limousine liberals are multi-millionaires, often driven around in limousines, who pretend to be compassionate about the poor despite living a life of luxury themselves. Often their own daily routine provides little benefit to the poor, and many of the policies they advocate tend to make it difficult for others to become wealthy like themselves.
A typical policy supported by limousine liberals is to increase tax burdens on the American family. They bemoan that they don't pay enough taxes so they can make the point that everyone should pay more. They shed tears for public school funding but send their kids to private schools. It is the hypocrisy of "do as I say, not as I do."
The term "limousine liberal" was coined in 1969.
Examples of limousine liberals
- Barack Obama
After the end of his presidency, Barack Obama spent much of his time vacationing in exclusive and elite locations around the world. He spent much time with left-wing celebrities, such as spending Good Friday 2017 on a $300 million yacht with celebrities such as Bruce Springsteen, Tom Hanks, and Oprah Winfrey. In addition, Obama accepted a $400,000 speech backed by Wall Street, something that stunned even many liberals. Despite the criticism over the speech, Obama gave another $400,000 speech shortly afterward. Bernie Sanders described Obama's speaking fees as "unfortunate." In May 2017, Obama traveled to Italy to give a speech on climate change, but used pollution-heavy transportation to get to his destination. On June 6, 2017, Obama gave a $400,000 speech to the Chamber of Commerce in Montreal in which one of the topics he spoke about was "warning against income inequality and the concentration of wealth." After leaving office, Obama bought a house in D.C. for $8.1 million. In August and September 2017, Obama made a combined $1.2 million from three Wall Street speeches.
- Michael Bloomberg
Billionaire Michael Bloomberg, for example, spends much of his time and money trying to take a way the right of the poor to meaningful self-defense, by demanding gun control, while he lives in a fully protected environment unavailable to the poor.
- Bernie Sanders
- Bennett, Kate (March 17, 2017). Barack Obama is probably lying on a beach in a deserted paradise right now. CNN. Retrieved March 18, 2017.
- Hudson, Jerome (April 17, 2017). Good Friday: Obamas Join Winfrey, Springsteen, Hanks on David Geffen’s Yacht. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Obama spokesman defends reported $400,000 Wall Street-backed speech. Fox News. April 27, 2017. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Wallace, Christopher (April 27, 2017). Obama's $400G Wall Street speech leaves liberal base stunned. Fox News. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Obama reportedly pulls in another $400G for speech. Fox News. April 28, 2017. Retrieved April 28, 2017.
- ‘Unfortunate’: Bernie Sanders criticizes Obama for accepting $400K for Wall Street speech, The Blaze
- Zanotti, Emily (May 21, 2017). Obama Speaks on Global Warming, Then Spews CO2 With Private Jet, 13-Car Motorcade. Heat Street. Retrieved May 22, 2017.
- Starr, Penny (June 7, 2017). Obama Warns Against Income Inequality While Delivering $7,700-a-Minute Speech. Breitbart News. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- Obamas purchase D.C. house for $8.1 million, new report says. Fox News. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- Bennett, Kate (June 2, 2017). Obamas purchase their DC rental house for millions. CNN. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- Shelbourne, Mallory (September 18, 2017). Obama making big-money speeches to Wall Street firms: report. The Hill. Retrieved September 18, 2017.
- Yilek, Caitlin (September 18, 2017). Obama making $400,000 speeches to Wall Street firms: Report. Washington Examiner. Retrieved September 18, 2017.
- Kight, Stef W. (September 18, 2017). Obama to make $1.2 million from 3 Wall Street speeches. Axios. Retrieved September 18, 2017.
- Obama cashes in on Wall Street appearances, report says. Fox News. September 19, 2017. Retrieved September 19, 2017.
- Curl, Joseph (June 6, 2017). Socialist Bernie Sanders gets superrich in capitalist U.S.. The Washington Times. Retrieved June 6, 2017.
- Renzulli, Kerri Anne (March 15, 2016). Bernie Sanders Is a De Facto Millionaire. Time. Retrieved June 6, 2017.
- Gross, Daniel (February 28, 2016). How Bernie Sanders, the Socialist, Quietly Entered the Top 4% of Earners. Fortune. Retrieved June 6, 2017.