|U.S. Representative from California's 6th District|
From: January 3, 1993 - January 3, 2013
Lynn C. Woolsey (born November 3, 1937 in Seattle, Washington) was U.S. Representative from California's 6th congressional district from 1993 to January 2013 and a member of the Democratic Party. She was considered one of the most far-left members in Congress,[Who says?] representing some of the most liberal counties in the country. During her tenure in the House, she was passed over for prominent committee assignments because of her disagreements with fellow Democrats. She opposed missile defense, the Patriot Act, and terrorist surveillance. Woolsey was co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus and a vocal critic of the War in Iraq. In 2009 she was arrested at the Sudanese embassy while protesting against violence in Darfur.
Lynn Woolsey was one of eight House members who voted against a resolution honoring Christmas, while voting for a resolution honoring Ramadan, a Muslim religious observance. In 2000, she sponsored legislation revoking the federal charter for the Boy Scouts, saying, "We're not saying the Boy Scouts are bad, we're saying that intolerance is bad." During the Obama Administration Woolsey called for a "robust public option" in health care.
The House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly to defund ACORN, 345-75, on September 17, 2009. Seventy-five Democrats, including Woolsey, stood with ACORN and voted no. This despite nationwide attention related to voter fraud and recent revelation of ACORN's ties to prostitution including child trafficking and defrauding the IRS.
- ↑ http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?blogid=14&entry_id=39172
- ↑ http://townhall.com/columnists/AmandaCarpenter/2007/12/12/ramadan_yea,_christmas_nay
- ↑ http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/individualProfile.asp?indid=1148
- ↑ http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/letter-from-house-progressives-to-obama-on-public-option/
- ↑ House votes to cut off funding, but 75 stand by ACORN, Washington Examiner, September 17, 2009