|Nickname||The Great Lakes State|
|Governor||Rick Snyder, R|
|Senator||Gary C. Peters, D |
|Senator||Debbie Stabenow, D |
|Ratification of Constitution/or statehood||January 26, 1837 (26th)|
|Motto: Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice (If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look around you)|
Michigan was the twenty-sixth state to enter into the union, on Jan. 26, 1837. It is known for its interesting geographical location, bordering four of the five Great Lakes (it does not border Lake Ontario). It also comprises two parts, the Upper Peninsula (known as the U.P.) and the Lower Peninsula (which is by far the larger of the two). The two are separated by water. Its capital is Lansing, and its largest city is Detroit.
While it was a territory, Michigan's militia fought the Toledo War with Ohio's militia. The border dispute was settled as a condition of Michigan becoming a state.
- Sen. Gary Peters (D)
- Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D)
- Rep. Jack Bergman [R, MI-01]
- Rep. Bill Huizenga [R, MI-02]
- Rep. Justin Amash [R, MI-03]
- Rep. John Moolenaar [R, MI-04]
- Rep. Dale Kildee [D, MI-05]
- Rep. Fred Upton [R, MI-06]
- Rep. Tim Walberg [R, MI-07]
- Rep. Mike Bishop [R, MI-08]
- Rep. Sander Levin [D, MI-09]
- Rep. Paul Mitchell [R, MI-10]
- Rep. Dave Trott [R, MI-11]
- Rep. Debbie Dingell [D, MI-12]
- Rep. John Conyers Jr. [D, MI-13]
- Rep. Brenda Lawrence [D, MI-14]
- Governor Rick Snyder (R)
- Lt. Governor Brian Calley (R)
- Attorney General Bill Schuette (R)
- Secretary of State Ruth Johnson (R)
Notable people from Michigan
- Inventor Thomas Edison lived in Port Huron.
- President Gerald Ford grew up in Grand Rapids, Michigan and represented the state in the House of Representatives before replacing Spiro Agnew as Vice President.
- Automaker Henry Ford was born in what is now Dearborn.
- Aviator Charles Lindbergh was born in Detroit.
- Singer Ted Nugent
- Actor Tom Selleck
- Pro-life activist and Domino's Pizza Founder Tom Monaghan was born in Ann Arbor.
- Civil rights pioneer Rosa Parks lived in Detroit for some of her life.
- Bob Seger
- Historian Bruce Catton
- Comedian Danny Thomas
- General George Custer
- Liberal filmmaker Michael Moore was born in Flint.
New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter grew up and attended high school in Kalamazoo, Michigan.