The minister's son is relatively rare in numbers (less than one in many tens of thousands), yet extraordinarily productive in accomplishment.
Some examples of minister's sons are:
- Niels Abel, one of the greatest mathematicians, son of a Norwegian pastor.
- Alex Briley, chart-topping singer: a minister's son who learned to sing in church from an early age.
- Gordon Brown, Labour Party Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, son of a Church of Scotland (Presbyterian) minister.
- Hugh Dennis, comedian and former agent for the Security Service, son of the bishop of St Edmundsbury
- Leonhard Euler, the most prolific mathematician ever, son of a Calvinist pastor.
- Anthony Flew
- James Gamble, co-founder of Procter & Gamble
- Sir Nigel Gresley, one of the greatest steam locomotive designers
- William Hamilton, Irish mathematician and biggest contributor of mathematics to physics since Isaac Newton, raised by his uncle the Reverend James Hamilton.
- Captain William Kidd, pirate, hanged 1701, was the son of a Greenock minister.
- Isaac Newton, physicist, stepson of Anglican minister.
- Robert Noyce, co-inventor of the integrated circuit, son of a Congregational minister.
- Sir Laurence Olivier(Lord Olivier), classical actor.
- J.C. Penney
- Bernhard Riemann, mathematician, son of a Lutheran pastor.
- Vincent Van Gogh
- The Wright Brothers
- Nicola Tesla
- Scott Walker, governor of Wisconsin who obtained national attention for standing up to the government workers' unions
- President Woodrow Wilson
- Tim Westwood, well-known music journalist and motoring correspondent; son of the bishop of Peterborough
|“||In a study listed in Who's Who, it took 5,000 Presbyterian ministers to produce one child listed in Who's Who. Among lawyers the ratio was 5,000 to 1; dentists 2,500 to 1. But for every seven Christian missionary families from the United States, one of their children would be listed in Who's Who.||”|
- ↑ http://www.adherents.com/people/pf/Anthony_Flew.html
- ↑ http://famousbrandnames.blogspot.com/2007/02/procter-gamble.html
- ↑ http://famousbrandnames.blogspot.com/2007/02/jc-penneys.html
- ↑ http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=950DE1D61439EF32A25751C2A9629C946496D6CF
- ↑ http://www.wwcmagazine.org/1997/call.html