|Nickname||The Magnolia State|
|Governor||Haley Barbour, R|
|Senator||Thad Cochran, R |
|Senator||Roger Wicker, R |
|Ratification of Constitution/or statehood||December 10, 1817 (20th)|
|Motto: "Virtute et armis" (By valor and arms)|
Mississippi is located in the Southern region of the United States and on December 10th, 1817 became the twentieth state to enter into the union. Mississippi was once a member of the Confederate States of America. The capital of Mississippi is Jackson which is also its largest city. The current governor of Mississippi is Haley Barbour, a Republican. It was the third most obese state in 2011.
- Sen. Thad Cochran (R)
- Sen. Roger Wicker (R)
- Rep. Alan Nunnelee [R, MS-01]
- Rep. Bennie Thompson [D, MS-02]
- Rep. Gregg Harper [R, MS-03]
- Rep. Steven Palazzo [R, MS-04]
- Governor Haley Barbour (R)
- Lt. Governor Phil Bryant (R)
- Attorney General Jim Hood (D)
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann (R)
- State Auditor Stacey Pickering (R)
- State Treasurer Tate Reeves (R)
Although Mississippi's economy has traditionally been more agriculturally based than those of many states, the state has experienced industrial growth in recent years. The economy in the southern part of the state near the coastline was severely disrupted by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. 
Mississippi's public universities include:
- Alcorn State University
- Delta State University
- Jackson State University
- Mississippi State University (MSU)
- Mississippi University for Women (now a co-ed university)
- Mississippi Valley State University
- University of Mississippi
- University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Mississippi also has a public Law School and Medical School.
Private universities include:
- Belhaven College (affiliated with the conservative Presbyterian Church (PCA)
- Blue Mountain College
- Millsaps College
- Mississippi College (Ole Miss)
- Rust College
- Tougaloo College
- William Carey University
Notable people from Mississippi
- Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre is from Kiln.
- Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest was from Mississippi.
- Actor James Earl Jones was born in Arkabutla.
- Former United States Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott represented Mississippi in the Senate from 1989 to 2007.
- James Meredith made headlines as the first African-American student at the University of Mississippi in 1962.
- Oprah Winfrey was born in Kosciusko.
- Elvis Presley was born in Tupelo.
- Muppets creator Jim Henson was born in Greenville.
- ↑ http://www.usm.edu/afterkatrina/Baugh.html
- ↑ http://www.mississippi.gov/ms_sub_sub_template.jsp?Category_ID=26