National Organization for Women
The National Organization for Women (NOW) is a liberal feminist organization in the United States. NOW was founded in 1966. Its stated purpose—not necessarily its actual goal—is to take action to bring women into full participation in society — sharing equal rights, responsibilities and opportunities with men, while living free from discrimination.
NOW's Top Six Priority Issues
NOW's priority issues are as follows:
- Advancing Reproductive Freedom - NOW supports access to abortion and birth control
- Promoting Diversity & Ending Racism
- Stopping Violence Against Women - NOW supports I-VAWA (International Violence Against Women Act, S. 2279).
- Winning Lesbian Rights - NOW supports rights for Lesbians and equal marriage
- Achieving Constitutional Equality - NOW supports the Women's Equality Amendment
- Ensuring Economic Justice
NOW has been described as "the largest organized group fighting shared parenting legislation," along with divorce attorneys. "Using these scare tactics, NOW has blocked shared parenting bills in several states [in 2006], including New York and Michigan."
NOW and the MSM
I-VAWA (International Violence Against Women Act, S. 2279). I-VAWA would create a new Office of Women's Global Initiatives that would control all foreign domestic-violence programs and funds in the Departments of State, Justice, Labor, Health and Human Services, and Homeland Security.
Women's Equality Amendment
Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) introduced the Women's Equality Amendment in 2007. Leaders from NOW, Feminist Majority, the National Council of Women's Organizations and other feminist groups united with members of Congress to launch the joint resolutions. Other members of Congress taking the lead on the new Women's Equality Amendment include: Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.), Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), Rep. Lynn Woolsey (D-Calif.), Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-Texas), Rep. Hilda Solis (D-Calif.) and Rep. Yvette Clarke (D-N.Y.).
NOW vs Walmart
NOW has always been a leader in the fight against Wal-Mart and tells shoppers "that every dime spent at Wal-Mart hurts a woman somewhere in this world." 
- About NOW: We Want It All
- About NOW: We Want It All
- Former NOW Chapter President Exposes Left's Media Agenda, Justin McCarthy, NewsBusters, April 17, 2007
- MSNBC's Tamron Hall: I've Participated in Events for NOW, Mark Finkelstein, NewsBusters, August 28, 2007
- Feminist Abuse of Domestic Violence Laws, Phyllis Schlafly, November 28, 2007
- New Push for Women's Constitutional Equality, June 12, 2007
- Emergency Contraception Action at Wal-Mart
- http://www.now.org/ Official Website