Northern Illinois University
|Northern Illinois University|
|Sports:||baseball, basketball, football, golf, gymnastics, soccer, tennis, track|
Northern Illinois University (or NIU) is a Illinois public university founded in 1895. The school is located in DeKalb, Illinois. It was ranked a fourth-tier school in US News's 2008 "National Universities: Tier 4" list.
NIU's football team has won 2 bowl games (while losing 1).
On February 14, 2008, Stephen Kazmierczak, armed with a shot gun, opened fire in a lecture theatre. He killed five (four females and one male) and injured 16, before taking his life. Kazmierczak, a former graduate student, offered no motive. It was the fourth shooting at a US education establishment within a week, and the second time NIU had faced violence in two months (when a student left racial attacks and references to the Virginia Tech shootings on a bathroom wall).
- ↑ http://niuhuskies.cstv.com/tickets/niu-tickets.html
- ↑ http://www.niu.edu/about/fastfacts.shtml
- ↑ http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t4natudoc_brief.php
- ↑ http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/mac/northern_illinois/bowl_history.php
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7246003.stm
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/14/AR2008021402647.html?hpid=topnews