Open borders is the mistaken belief, often politically motivated, that freedom of movement from one country into another is a basic human right. It is a radical notion that national boundaries are unjust and that migrants of any other culture should be embraced. Immigration laws are to be ignored, under this view, while tolerance for foreign customs must be embraced, while integration into a new society is not observed out of respect and compassion for multicultural ethnic groups.
Open borders result in more crime. In addition, capital resources are spent on migrants, most of whom have little or no education. Jail populations swell, the health system is burdened, schools struggle to cope, law enforcement and the courts are overwhelmed.
Supporters of open borders
Liberals and globalists support the abolition of borders, along with an eventual one-world government. For example, Hillary Clinton stated in a 2013 speech in Brazil that "my dream is a hemispheric common market, with open trade and open borders, some time in the future." In American politics, both the Republican and Democrat parties support open borders (while the base of the former opposes open borders, the party establishment supports them). Republicans want access to cheap foreign labor for special interest groups and large donors. This drives wages down or wages remain flat for the rest of the population. Democrats want open borders to expand voter roles and grow government. Creating a larger government increases power for those holding political office and access to more and more tax money.
Both globalist European politicians, including President of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker, who stated in 2016 that "borders are the worst invention ever made by politicians," and American politicians including U.S. Representative Luis Gutierrez and Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, have advocated for globalist immigration policies.
Syrian refugees head to Europe
- See also: European migrant crisis
Migrants to Europe are given books that are packed with tips, maps, phone numbers and advice about getting across Europe. The NGO is WatchTheMed and W2EU.info, they're "Activists from our network distribute the guides for free in Turkey". W2eu's website says, "We welcome all travellers on their difficult trip and wish you all a good journey - because freedom of movement is everybody's right!".
- Multiple references:
- Wolfgang, Ben (October 8, 2016). Clinton admitted she’s for ‘open borders’ in paid, private speech: WikiLeaks. The Washington Times. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- Westwood, Sarah (October 7, 2016). 'Open trade and open borders': Hacked emails contain transcripts of Clinton paid speeches. Washington Examiner. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- Hahn, Julia (October 7, 2016). Leaked Hillary Clinton Speech to Foreign Bank: ‘My Dream Is a Hemispheric Common Market with Open Trade and Open Borders’. Breitbart News. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- McHugh, Katie (October 19, 2016). Fact-Check: Yes, Hillary Clinton Wants Open Borders. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 31, 2018.
- Hale, Virginia (November 28, 2017). EU President: Without Millions of African Migrants, Europe Will Be Lost. Breitbart News. Retrieved November 28, 2017.
- Multiple references:
- EU boss: 'Borders are the worst invention ever made by politicians'. Fox News (from The Sun). August 23, 2016. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Kassam, Raheem (August 22, 2016). EU Prez Juncker: ‘Borders Are The Worst Invention Ever’. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Barnato, Katy (August 23, 2016). National borders ‘worst invention ever’: EU chief. CNBC. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Binder, John (November 28, 2017). 21 Times Exiting Rep. Luis Gutierrez Touted Open-Borders. Breitbart News. Retrieved November 28, 2017.
- Hahn, Julia (October 17, 2015). Paul Ryan’s Open Borders Push With Luis Gutierrez Exposed in 2013 Video. Breitbart News. Retrieved November 28, 2017.
- Sky Finds 'Handbook' For EU-Bound Migrants, Sky news, September 15, 2015