A pedophile or paedophile (non-US spelling) is an adult or teenager who is of or above the age of 16 (although a rejected change in the DSM would have changed this to 18) who is sexually attracted to young children below the age of puberty that are at least five years younger than the adult or teen (generally 13 years old or younger, though onset of puberty may vary and the proposal would also change this to all children below 15 ). A pedophile who acts out his or her wishes in the form of viewing child pornography or molesting youngsters is committing a crime and breaking virtually all moral codes; in particular, the Bible explicitly forbids it. It is closely linked to immorality and sociopathy. The term pedophilia is sometimes incorrectly used to mean sexual attraction by adults and teens to anyone below the age of consent, for example British psychologist Hans Eysenck in The Causes and Cures of Criminality defined it as people 16 and over having sex with people 15 and younger (in the UK age of consent is 16), but in fact this is an incorrect use of the term and is regrettable because the difference hebephilic (adults attracted to adolescents 12-15) and pedophilic offenders is vast, and treatment is different.
Diagnosis and treatment
Pedophilia is a mental illness according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Although some survey and penile plethysmograph results suggest that double-digit percentages of the adult male population may be capable of being sexually aroused by children, the best estimates are that only between 1% and 5% of men are full-blown pedophiles. 30% of pedophiles are left-handed or ambidextrous, triple the general rate. Pedophiles are nearly an inch shorter on average than non-pedophiles and lag behind the average IQ by 10 points. It may be possible to identify potential pedophiles using magnetic resonance imaging of the brain as they tend to have less white matter. Some evidence suggests that pedophilia results from cross-wiring in which the stimuli that usually evoke nurturing and protective reactions in adults instead evokes sexual reactions in pedophiles. There is no cure for pedophilia; even castration does not completely eliminate a pedophile's sexual interest in children.
Claims that pedophilia is a sexual orientation
Pedophilia is sometimes described as a sexual orientation by researchers who claim it has a similar age of onset, correlations with sexual and romantic behavior, and stability over time as homosexuality. Michael C. Seto proposes a two-axis "modular person preferences system" in which asexual persons would be placed at the origin and the X and Y axes would range from infant to senior and from male to female, respectively. Other axes could be added for body shape, body size, and other characteristics of interest. Seto concludes that "[a]ccepting that pedophilia is a sexual orientation akin to heterosexuality or homosexuality, rather than a preference that is chosen or somehow learned, may" create a culture in which pedophiles feel safer seeking clinical and assist "efforts to better understand this sexual orientation and thereby prevent child sexual exploitation." In 2013, the American Psychiatric Association issued a statement clarifying that it does not regard pedophilia as a sexual orientation.
Connection to leftist and gay rights movements
The Family Research Council notes that "the evidence indicates that disproportionate numbers of gay men seek adolescent males or boys as sexual partners." Steve Baldwin notes, "Homosexual leaders repeatedly argue for the freedom to engage in consensual sex with children, and blind surveys reveal a shockingly high number of homosexuals admit to sexual contact with minors." According to political scientist Harris Mirkin, "Though pedophile organizations were originally a part of the gay/lesbian coalition, gay organizations distance themselves from pedophile organizations in the same way as feminist leaders sought to separate themselves from lesbians." As part of this distancing, some gay rights groups have encouraged the terminology "male-male molestation" be used in place of "homosexual molestation".
However, there have occasionally been signs of a backlash within the movement against crackdowns on pedophilia activists. In 1996, after the North American Man Boy Love Association and two similar European groups were expelled from the International Gay and Lesbian Alliance in order to satisfy the United Nations requirements for granting consultative status, intense internal pressure from ILGA's member organizations nonetheless impelled ILGA to drop a three-year-old requirement that its member groups sign a letter stating they do not condone pedophilia. More than half of ILGA's 450 members refused to sign an anti-pedophile pledge.
In 2013, Rush Limbaugh warned, "Don't Pooh-Pooh the Left's Push to Normalize Pedophilia". In 2013, the German Green Party's most prominent politician disavowed his past support for legalizing sex with children. The Greens nonetheless did poorly in the September 2013 election.
There is some dispute about the difference (if any) between "pedophilia" and "pedosexuality". Urban Dictionary describes "pedosexual" as a "non-existent word invented by pedophile activists as part of their ongoing effort to legitimize and legalize the sexual exploitation of children." dont-offend.org, a website of the Institute of Sexology and Sexual Medicine, directed by Klaus M. Beier, states that pedosexuality "as a clinical term denotes a sexual behaviour towards children and is the equivalent to ‘child sexual abuse’. The expressions ‘pedosexuality’ and ‘pedophilia’ are related but are not identical and cannot be used synonymously."
- ↑ http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/448575/pedophilia
- ↑ Galatians 5:16-21 (NIV)
- ↑ Green, Richard (December 2002). "Is Pedophilia a Mental Disorder?". Archives of Sexual Behavior 31 (6): 467-471. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023%2FA%3A1020699013309.
- ↑ Zarembo, Alan (14 January 2013). Many researchers taking a different view of pedophilia. Los Angeles Times.
- ↑ Paedophiles could be 'spotted and cured' through MRI scans to detect brain abnormalities and low IQs. Daily Mail Reporter (20 October 2012).
- ↑ Kane, Laura (22 December 2013). Is pedophilia a sexual orientation?. The Star.
- ↑ Crowe, Robert (10 May 2005). Expert says castration no cure for pedophilia. Houston Chronicle.
- ↑ Seto, Michael C. (February 2012). "Is Pedophilia a Sexual Orientation?". Archives of Sexual Behavior 41 (21): 231-236. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10508-011-9882-6.
- ↑ Wetzstein, Cheryl (31 October 2013). APA to correct manual: Pedophilia is not a ‘sexual orientation’. The Washington Times.
- ↑ Family Research Council (2 July 2002). Homosexuality and Child Sexual Abuse.
- ↑ Baldwin, Steve. Pedophilia and the Homosexual Movement. ensis wiki.
- ↑ Mirkin, Harris (1999). "The Pattern of Sexual Politics: Feminism, Homosexuality and Pedophilia". Journal of Homosexuality 37 (2): 1-24. Template:Hide in printTemplate:Only in print. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10207822.
- ↑ Herek, Gregory. Facts About Homosexuality and Child Molestation. University of California.
- ↑ Jenkinson, Michael (16 September 1996). "Back into the bedrooms of the nation". Alberta Report 23 (40): 35. Template:Hide in printTemplate:Only in print.
- ↑ Limbaugh, Rush (7 January 2013). Don't Pooh-Pooh the Left's Push to Normalize Pedophilia. The Rush Limbaugh Show.
- ↑ Troianovski, Anton (18 September 2013). Painful Past Plagues German Greens. Wall Street Journal.
- ↑ Byfield, Link (7 November 2013). The brief, unhappy greening of German pedophilia. TheChristians.com.
- ↑ Ed (21 January 2005). pedosexual. Urban Dictionary.
- ↑ Beier, Klaus M. and Loewit, Kurt K. (6 November 2012). Sexual Medicine in Clinical Practice, xv. ISBN 978-1461444206.
- ↑ dont-offend.org. FAQ. Institute of Sexology and Sexual Medicine.