Pharyngula is a blog by atheist and evolutionist PZ Myers, who is a biologist and associate professor at the University of Minnesota, Morris. Pharyngula is hosted by Scienceblogs which appears to have a problem keeping and attracting talented writers. According to PZ Myers, Scienceblogs has "been facing a steady erosion of talent". In 2010, the Christian apologetic website True Free Thinker wrote a quite pointed and accurate criticism of PZ Myers Pharyngula blog indicating that PZ Myers' blog posts often lack substance. Pharyngula is widely acclaimed in the liberal media due to its embrace of evolutionary pseudoscience which liberals irrationally embrace (see: Evolution, Liberalism, Atheism, and Irrationality). Myers' blog is also listed by the science journal Nature, which also embraces evolutionary pseudoscience, as the best blog by a scientist. Pharyngula is known for its sarcastic and often specious criticism of creation science and intelligent design theory, as well as regular postings of photos of cephalopods (often with vulgarly sexual connotations both subtle and blatant).
PZ Myers' blog audience
See also: Atheism and the internet
|“||Scienceblogger Chad Orzel described the commentators on PZ Myers ' Scienceblogs.com site Pharyngula, and other Scienceblogs.com commentators, as "screechy monkeys."||”|
A somewhat similar report was made concerning the audience of Richard Dawkins's web community. In February of 2010, the news organization The Telegraph reported that the atheist and evolutionist Richard Dawkins was embroiled "in a bitter online battle over plans to rid his popular internet forum for atheists of foul language, insults and 'frivolous gossip'." In addition, Richard Dawkins has a reputation for being abrasive.
Blog post featuring a photograph with a high percentage of overweight PZ Myers fans
In 2011, Christian apologist Vox Day had an individual complain about the notion that the atheist community has a problem with obesity (Please see: Atheism and obesity). As a result, on May 19, 2011, Vox Day released a blog post entitled Mailvox: now, who said atheists are fat? where 80% of the people taking a picture with PZ Myers were overweight and PZ Myers was overweight in the picture as well as can be seen HERE. The picture was originally posted on PZ Myer's blog Pharyngula by Myers on May 16, 2011 and an online argument quickly ensued concerning the appearance of the photograph's participants.
- PZ Myers, is your wife an atheist? - humor
- The atheist and evolutionist helpline - satire
- Atheism and the internet
- PZ Myers embarrasses himself at the Creation Museum
- A reply to atheist and evolutionist PZ Myers
- Atheists say the darnedest things!
- Richard Dawkins' battle with online fans
- PZ Myers - Christian rebuttals by True Free Thinker
- Pharyngula Non-family-friendly content warning - New location
- Pharyngula Non-family-friendly content warning
- ↑ Pharyngula
- ↑ http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/
- ↑ http://www.truefreethinker.com/articles/pz-myers-emotively-vociferous-intellectually-mute
- ↑ http://www.truefreethinker.com/articles/richard-dawkins-cowardly-clown
- ↑ http://www.truefreethinker.com/articles/pz-myers-and-pavlovs-monkeys
- ↑ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/7322177/Richard-Dawkins-in-bitter-web-censorship-row-with-fellow-atheists.html
- ↑ http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/05/at_least_you_can_see_a_hint_of.php