Phyllis Schlafly (born on August 15, 1924, in St. Louis, Missouri) is a prominent author and conservative activist, and founder of the Eagle Forum. Phyllis Schlafly is often called the conservatives' "first lady".
She was married to John Fred Schlafly, Jr. for forty-four years until his death (1909–1993), and is the mother of six children: John, Bruce, Roger, Liza, Anne, and Conservapedia founder Andrew Schlafly.
Unlike most politicians and activists, Phyllis Schlafly has always had a good-natured wit in addressing difficult issues and adversity. For example, when Phyllis Schlafly received an honorary degree from Washington University, a fraction of the faculty and students protested the honor by wearing white armbands and/or turning their backs. When Mrs. Schlafly was asked for her comment about the protesters, she responded:
|“||I'm not sure they're mature enough to graduate!||”|
Phyllis Schlafly first came to American national attention with her book, A Choice, Not An Echo 1964. (One of the ten best-selling conservative books of all time; three million copies sold.)
She is also the author or editor of 20 books on subjects as varied as family and feminism (The Power of the Positive Woman), nuclear strategy (Strike From Space and Kissinger on the Couch), education (Child Abuse in the Classroom), child care (Who Will Rock the Cradle? and Stronger Families or Bigger Government?,), and a phonics book (Turbo Reader), on the Judiciary: The Supremacists. Her most recent book, Feminist Fantasies, is a collection of essays on feminism in the media, workplace, home, and the military. She is also contributor of Great American Conservative Women.
Quotes by others
Ann Coulter wrote:
- There is no more pristine example of the left's in-crowd snobbery than their treatment of conservative author and activist Phyllis Schlafly. (Slander, page 35)
- Schlafly, Phyllis (2006), The Supremacists: The Tyranny of Judges and How to Stop It, Spence Publishing Company, ISBN 1890626651
- Schlafly, Phyllis (2003), Feminist Fantasies, Spence Publishing Company, ISBN 1890626465
- Schlafly, Phyllis (2001), Turbo reader, Pere Marquette Press, ISBN 0934640165
- Schlafly, Phyllis (1990), Who Will Rock the Cradle?: The Battle for Control of Child Care in America, Thomas Nelson Publishers, ISBN 0849931983
- Schlafly, Phyllis (1984), Child Abuse in the Classroom, Crossway Books, ISBN 0891073655
- Schlafly, Phyllis (1977), The Power of the Positive Woman, Crown Pub, ISBN 0870003739
- Schlafly, Phyllis (1974), Kissinger on the Couch, Arlington House Publishers, ISBN 0870002163
- Schlafly, Phyllis (1964), A Choice, Not An Echo: The inside story of how American Presidents are chosen, Pere Marquette Pr, ISBN 0686114868
- Eagle Forum University
- Eagle Forum
- Phyllis Schlafly Report Online
- Index to Phyllis Schlafly Columns Syndicated column on social and political topics.
- Phyllis Schlafly From Microsoft Encarta.
- Articles by Phyllis Schlafly HUMAN EVENTS.
- Phyllis Schlafly, Official site
- Land, others warn Bush: Get Department of Justice in line on human trafficking bill By Tom Strode / Baptist Press.
- Conservatives' first lady sparked pro-family effort; Schlafly shaped nation's direction