Pirates of the Caribbean
Pirates of the Caribbean is a franchise of fantasy/adventure films, produced by The Walt Disney Company, and starring Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow, a pirate on the run from the British navy and the fictional East India Trading Company. There are a total of four films in the series (The Curse of the Black Pearl, Dead Man's Chest, At World's End and On Stranger Tides), with a fifth (Dead Men Tell No Tales) planned for 2017. The series has been widely praised for its special effects, for example the computer generated imagery used for the character Davy Jones. It is also one of the few PG-13 movies to be directly released by Disney instead of via their adult brand Touchstone Pictures.
- Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) - a pirate, and captain of the ship Black Pearl, whose defining traits are his love of freedom and his cleverness. Appears in all four films.
- Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) - a young blacksmith who falls in love with the governors daughter and is forced to go along with Jack's adventures. Appears in the first three films.
- Elizabeth Swann (Kiera Knightley) - the governor's daughter who is kidnapped by pirates in the first film and must find a way to stop them. Appears in the first three films.
- Lord Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander) - an antagonist of the early films. A cunning and manipulative executive of the East India Trading Company. Appears in the first three films.
- Hector Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) - Jack's rival as captain of the Black Pearl. A wily and intelligent pirate. Appears in all four films, as an antagonist in the first, and an ally in the next three.
- Davy Jones (Bill Nighy) - the undead captain of the Flying Dutchman, vicious and strong he is one of the most feared creatures in the world. Appears in the second and third.
- Blackbeard (Ian McShane) - a menacing pirate whom has magic powers. Appears in the fourth film.
- Calypso/Tia Dalma (Naomie Harris) - a strange woman who turns out to be Jones' former lover and a sea goddess. Appears in the second and third films.