Princeton Theological Seminary

From Conservapedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Princeton Theological Seminary began in 1812. Although located near princeton University, it has no connection. The seminary fostered the highly conservative Princeton Theology of Archibald Alexander and Charles Hodge.

In the 1920s Liberal Christians forced out the Conservative Christians who still promoted the old Princeton Theology. Thus, in 1929 J. Gresham Machen left Princeton Theological Seminary and helped found Orthodox Presbyterian Church and Westminster Theological Seminary.


Contents

Further reading

  • Calhoun, David B. Princeton Seminary: Faith and Learning, 1812-1868. (1996). 495 pp.
  • Calhoun, David B. Princeton Seminary: The Majestic Testimony, 1869-1929. (1996). 560 pp.
  • Hart, John W. "Princeton Theological Seminary: The Reorganization Of 1929," Journal Of Presbyterian History 1980 58(2): 124-140
  • Hodge, Archibald Alexander. The Life of Charles Hodge (1880) 1880 - 620 pages; full text online
  • Hoffecker, W. Andrew. Piety and the Princeton Theologians: Archibald Alexander, Charles Hodge, Benjamin Warfield (1981)
  • Loetscher, Lefferts A. Facing the Enlightenment and Pietism: Archibald Alexander and the Founding of Princeton Theological Seminary. (1983). 303 pp.
  • Noll, Mark A., ed. The Princeton Theology: Scripture, Science and Theological Method from Archibald Alexander to Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield. (1983). 322 pp.

references


See also


External links

Personal tools