|U.S. Senator from Kentucky|
From: January 5, 2011 - Present
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
|Spouse(s)||Kelley Ashby Paul|
Rand Paul (born January 7, 1963) is a candidate for the Republican nomination for president in 2016, and currently serves as a conservative United States Senator from Kentucky. Rand is pro-life and spoke at the March for Life rally in 2013. He is also critical of federal spending and is emerging as a movement conservative. Unlike many politicians of both major political parties, Rand Paul supports sharply reducing the size of government. He has criticized pro-war politicians and won the CPAC straw poll in 2013 and 2014.
In 2010, he won the Republican primary after defeating moderate candidate Trey Grayson by a landslide. Despite intense opposition by liberals and the lamestream media, Rand Paul then won by an overwhelming margin first against a RINO Republican favored by the establishment, and then against Democrat Jack Conway in the 2010 Midterm Election. This was the seat formerly held by Jim Bunning, one of the greatest conservative sports stars, who endorsed Paul in the Republican primary.
On March 2013, Rand led a filibuster of Obama's CIA nomination John Brennan due to the fact that the administration was unwilling to forbid ordering drone targeting of Americans on American territories, in violation of the 5th Amendment. A month of letter writings without a reply and March 6th testimony from Attorney General Eric Holder prompted the filibuster. A number of GOP Senators joined him including Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Mike Lee, among others and one Democrat Senator, Ron Wyden. A vote on a non-binding statement clarifying that Obama shall not kill Americans with drone warfare was denied by Democrats in the Senate.
Rand Paul is pro-life. He opposes foreign interventionalism and perpetual war. Paul is against American intervention in the Syrian Civil War and was opposed to the Operation Iraqi Freedom or the Patriot Act. He opposes gun control and same-sex marriage. Paul supports the Pathway to introduce illegal aliens to citizenship. He opposes prison sentences for minor drug offenders. Paul sued the Obama administration because it spied Americans by the NSA. Paul is an opponent of the United States embargo against Cuba.
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD-R_OeP6tU
- ↑ http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/19/julian-assange-loves-rand-paul-and-his-very-principled-positions.html
- ↑ Rand Paul launches 2016 White House bid: ‘We have come to take our country back’ http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/04/07/rand-paul-set-to-announce-presidential-run/
- ↑ http://www.c-span.org/video/?325139-1/senator-rand-paul-rky-presidential-campaign-announcement
- ↑ http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-news/item/14691-sen-rand-paul-is-obama-administration-hiding-arms-trade-to-jihadists
- ↑ http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/01/14/rand_paul_on_gun_control_executive_order_obama_is_not_king.html
- ↑ http://www.ontheissues.org/senate/Rand_Paul.htm
- ↑ http://nation.foxnews.com/rand-paul/2013/03/19/rand-paul-endorses-pathway-citizenship
- ↑ http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/03/24/1767241/rand-paul-is-right-on-marijuana-and-that-should-scare-democrats-into-action/
- ↑ http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/04/sen-rand-paul-to-sue-over-nsa-spying-practices/
- ↑ http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/dgreenfield/the-cuban-embargo-isnt-just-about-the-embargo/