The Rhenish League was a short-lived (1254-7) confederation of Rhineland towns which begain in Mainz and Worms. The league was founded and administered by Wolpode Arnold so as to secure the law and order in the face of a breakdown of central power and to protect property, commerce, trade and the rights of the estates.
Founded in 1254, after only two years the league included over 70 cities form Lübeck in the north to Zurich in the south. Many lay and ecclesiastical princes also joined the league and it was recognized by William, Count of Holland in 1255. However, following the disputed elections of 1257 it disintegrated and was finally dissolved in 1257.