Richard Dawkins and Jesse Kilgore
There are preliminary studies indicating that individuals who reject Christianity in Western cultures have lower self-esteem than the Christian population. There are studies indicating that lower self-esteem is associated with suicidality.
Richard Dawkins' book The God Delusion along with a community college biology class, have been linked to the tragic suicide of Jesse Kilgore. Kilgore had several discussions with friends and relatives in which he made it clear Dawkins' book had destroyed his belief in God. This loss of faith is considered the cause of his suicide which is not surprising given that there is evidence which suggest that atheism can be a causal factor for suicide for some individuals.
Jesse's father is quoted as saying "If my son was a professing homosexual, and a professor challenged him to read [a book called] Preventing Homosexuality… If my son was gay and [the book] made him feel bad, hopeless, and he killed himself, and that came out in the press, there would be an outcry. He would have been a victim of a hate crime and the professor would have been forced to undergo sensitivity training, and there may have even been a wrongful death lawsuit. But because he's a Christian, I don't even get a return telephone call."
Jesse's blog remains online after his death.
- Resources for leaving atheism and becoming a Christian
- Evidence for Christianity
- Atheism and Mental and Physical Health
- Atheism and depression
- Atheism and suicide
- A suicidal atheist converts to Christ
- Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion'
- Ideas have consequences: Jesse Kilgore
- Atheists emailing me saying they've left atheism for Jesus Christ - YouTube video
- Ex-atheist conquers Atheist Experience show by exposing the madness of atheism
- Religious Affiliation, Atheism and Suicide
- NY Times, September 17, 1894, ATHEISM A CAUSE OF SUICIDE.; Dr. MacArthur Preaches on the Sin and Cowardice of Self-Destruction