Saint Bavo Cathedral
The Saint Bavo Cathedral (Dutch: Sint-Baafskathedraal) is the Roman Catholic Cathedral of the Bishopric of Ghent. The first indications of a first church on this site date back to the year 942 AD. The Cathedral has a large and impressive crypt beneath that is free to visit. By the middle of the 16th century it had more or less its current exterior look and in 1559 the diocese of Ghent was founded and the church became a cathedral.
There are many masterpieces inside the Cathedral, Bishop Antonius (Antoon) Triest also played a huge role in this. A few good examples of these art treasures are the Ghent Altarpiece of the brothers Van Eyck and the Conversion of Saint Bavo by Peter Paul Rubens from 1624.