Self-defense is the right to protect a person or property from the unlawful threat or action of another. Self-defense is a long-recognized legal defense against prosecution for a violent or otherwise illegal act.
The use of private arms for self-defense accords was supported by the esteemed legal commentator Blackstone, which influenced thinking in the American colonies. He wrote that the people's right to arms was auxiliary to the natural right of self-preservation.
- Robert F. Williams wrote, "It has always been an accepted right of Americans, as the history of our Western states proves, that where the law is unable, or unwilling, to enforce order, the citizens can, and must act in self-defense against lawless violence." 
Ann Coulter wrote, "Numerous studies, including one by the National Institute of Justice, show that crime victims who resist a criminal with a gun are less likely to be injured than those who do not resist at all or who resist without a gun. That's true even when the assailant is armed." 
- Home security
- Firearms: Everyday carry (EDC), All the gear, all the time (ATGATT), and Bug-out bag (BOB)
- Stand your ground law
- Castle Doctrine
- Gun control, Ammunition control and gun free zones
- Martial arts
- Armed self-defense
- List of military strategies and concepts
Bibliography - Further Reading
- Party, Boston T., Boston's Gun Bible. Wyoming: American Redoubt Javelin Press, 2009 revision to 2002 edition, 848 pages, ISBN-10: 1888766069, ISBN-13: 978-1888766066. Chapter 4: Tactics and Training: Defending your Home.
- Rawles, James Wesley, How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It - Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times', New York: Plume/Penguin Books, 2009. Released September 30, 2009, 336 pages, ISBN-10: 0452295831, ISBN-13: 978-0452295834, Audible.com Audio book, Amazon.com Paperback. Chapter 10: Home security and Self-defense. Chapter 11: Firearms for Self-sufficiency and Self-defense.
- Rawles, James Wesley, Tools for Survival: What You Need to Survive When You’re on Your Own. New York: Plume/Penguin Books, 2015. Released December 30, 2014, 368 pages, ISBN-10: 0452298121, ISBN-13: 978-0452298125, Reviews, Audible.com Audio book, Amazon.com Paperback. Chapter 11: Rifles, Shotguns, and Handguns
- Tappan, Mel, Survival Guns. Boulder, Colorado: Paladin Press, Released November 1, 2009. 480 pages. ISBN-10: 1581607199, ISBN-13: 978-1581607192.  Amazon.com Paperback]
- See WILLIAM BLACKSTONE, 1 COMMENTARIES *136, *139.