Smith-Lever Act of 1914
The Smith-Lever Act of 1914 provided federal funds for cooperative extension activities, in partnership with the Department of Agriculture. It was expanded by the passage of the Smith-Hughes Act of 1917.
This act was one of the first progressive-era Grants-in-aid legislative acts designed to erode the states' discretion, and bring them under the control of the federal government.
The Smith-Lever Act extended the Morrill Act of 1862 to explicitly include "rural energy" as it relates to agriculture. Most importantly, for the first time states were required to submit a plan containing details of how the funds would be used.