Software is computer code that is converted ("compiled") into a machine-readable program capable of performing complex operations. Software is differentiated from hardware, which is a physical computer attribute, such as a monitor or hard drive. There are many different types of software, ranging from something as central to the computer as its operating system such as Windows or Tails OS, to such productivity-based software like Microsoft Office, to purely entertainment software like video games.
Prescient Quotes on Police State Software Surveillance
- "The progress of science in furnishing the government with means of espionage is not likely to stop with wiretapping. Ways may some day be developed by which the government, without removing papers from secret drawers, can reproduce them in court, and by which it will be enabled to expose to a jury the most intimate occurrences of the home. Advances in the psychic and related sciences may bring means of exploring unexpressed beliefs, thoughts and emotions. 'That places the liberty of every man in the hands of every petty officer' was said by James Otis of much lesser intrusions than these. 1 To Lord Camden a far slighter intrusion seemed 'subversive of all the comforts of society.' Can it be that the Constitution affords no protection against such invasions of individual security?"
- Tails (operating system) (Linux-based) and Tor (anonymity network) Firefox browser encryption for Internet anonymity to protect unalienable Fifth Amendment - Fourth Amendment Right to Privacy
- Encryption: Cryptography-Cryptanalysis-Cryptology-Public-key encryption-Steganography
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Open source Free software not Microsoft-Apple-Google-Android