St. Mary of the Angels

From Conservapedia

Jump to: navigation, search

St. Mary of the Angels is an opulent "Polish Cathedral" style Catholic church located in Chicago, Illinois. Construction began in 1899. St. Mary of the Angels is located in the Bucktown neighborhood, which was the center of "Polonia", the old center of Polish Catholic Chicago, also home to many German Catholic workers. It is under the authority of the Archdiocese of Chicago but has been overseen by the Prelature of Opus Dei since 1991. It is considered to be an extremely conservative Catholic Church within the Archdiocese. St. Mary of the Angels is well-known for providing a welcoming atmosphere for worship for the changing population of the neighborhood. Bucktown was originally founded by Bohemians and Polish, but the neighborhood has changed and the church now serves the remaining Polish population and an increasing number of wealthy young families committed to rigorous faith. The church has a parish school that serves grades 1 through 8.

External links

St. Mary of the Angels

Personal tools