Super Bowl XXXVIII
Super Bowl XXXVIII was played on February 1, 2004 in Houston, Texas's Reliant Stadium between the New England Patriots and Carolina Panthers. The Patriots won the game by a score of 32 to 29. Described by some as one of the greatest if not greatest Super Bowl games ever, once again, as in Super Bowl XXXVI, the Patriots won the game on a 41 yard field goal by kicker Adam Vinatieri; leaving only four seconds on the game clock. The Most Valuable Player of the game award was awarded to Patriots quarterback Tom Brady who threw for 354 yards and three touchdowns.
The Patriots and Panthers combined to established three new records in Super Bowl XXXVIII.
- Panther's wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad's 85-yard touchdown reception broke the record for the longest pass reception which had previously been 81 yards.
- 32 pass completions by Patriots quarterback Tom Brady broke a record previously held by the Buffalo Bills quarterback Jim Kelly when he threw 31 in a losing effort against the Dallas Cowboys in Superbowl XXVIII.
- The Panthers and Patriots 649 Combined passing yards were the greatest total for a Super Bowl, easily passing the previous record of 615 recorded twice.
- SI.com, February 2, 2004, "What more could you want? Super Bowl XXXVIII had it all, making it the best ever"
- NFL.com, February 2, 2004,Super Bowl XXXVIII, New England 32, Carolina 29
- SI.com, February 2, 2004, "Major Tom: Patriots' quarterback brings home second Super Bowl MVP trophy"
- SI.com, February 2, 2004, "Super Bowl by the numbers"