Engage Super League logo
The engage Super League is the top flight competition of rugby league in Europe since 1996.
The Super League began in March 1996 with a switch from the traditional winter season to the summer. Currently the competition comprises 27 rounds from February to September with each team playing 27 games. The top six teams in Super League then participate in the playoffs, which culminates in the Grand Final. The Grand Final winners play a game against the top team of the Australasian National Rugby League competition which is known as the World Club Challenge.
The Super league is a full time league currently consisting of twelve teams, although fourteen teams were involved in the 1999 season.
Notes & references
- ↑ Trading name of engage Mutual Assurance, the league sponsors.
- ↑ Rugby League official web site
- ↑ Rugby League official site
- ↑ Super League Satistics
- ↑ Known as Halifax Blue Sox 1996-2000
- ↑ London Broncos to 2005
- ↑ Merged with Sheffield Eagles to form Huddersfield-Sheffield Giants
- ↑ Hull Sharks 1997-2000
- ↑ Salford Reds to 1998