Talk:Creationism

From Conservapedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Archive 1

! This article is within the scope of WikiProject Religion, an attempt to build a comprehensive guide to Religion-related articles on Conservapedia. If you would like to participate, you can edit this article, or visit the project page, where you can join the project and/or contribute to the discussion. Conservlogo.png

Page Moved

This talk page has been moved to Archive 1. JonM 22:22, 20 December 2011 (EST)

Proposed Section: Public Opinion

I'm proposing a section on public opinion relating to Creationism based on Gallup, based on the following primary sources:

According to this, 46% of Americans believe in Young Earth Creationism as of May 2012, that God created man in present form in the last 10,000 years. 32% believe in Old Earth Creationism, that humans evolved with God guiding. Just 15% believe in atheistic evolution, that humans evolved but God played no role in the process. 7% have no opinion. The range of support for Americans believing in Young Earth Creationism has ranged from 40-47% since 1982 when Gallup began polling the question, which has been asked 11 times.

In June 2007, 39% said Young Earth Creationism was "definitely true" and 27% said it was "probably true", a total of 66% support. On the other hand, 18% said Evolution is "definitely true" and 35% said it's "probably true", a total of 53% support.

--Jzyehoshua 02:10, 22 July 2012 (EDT)

The percentage of support for Young Earth Creationism has actually gone up 2 points since 1982 when the question was first asked. 2/3 of Americans believing it's true is much higher than most people realize. I think a public polling section here would be fitting. --Jzyehoshua 12:33, 24 July 2012 (EDT)
I will fix it later this week. Thanks. Conservative 13:02, 24 July 2012 (EDT)
Alright, thanks! Here's the content I'm proposing - I'd add it myself if the page weren't protected:

Public Opinion

Public polling, as seen below (sourced from Gallup[1]), reveals that 46% of Americans believe in Young Earth Creationism, that "God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so" (2012, May 3-6). 32% believe that humans evolved with God guiding (Old Earth Creationism), and just 15% believe humans evolved but God had no part in the process (Atheistic Evolution).[2]

Polling Date God created humans in present form Humans evolved, with God guiding Humans evolved, but God had no part in process No opinion
2012, May 3-6 46% 32% 15% 7%
2010, December 10-12 40% 38% 16% 6%
2008, May 8-11 44% 36% 14% 5%
2007, May 10-13 43% 38% 14% 4%
2006, May 8-11 46% 36% 13% 5%
2004, November 7-10 45% 38% 13% 4%
2001, November 19-21 45% 37% 12% 5%
1999, August 24-26 47% 40% 9% 4%
1997, November 6-9 44% 39% 10% 7%
1993, June 23-26 47% 35% 11% 7%
1982, January 44% 38% 9% 9%


In 2007 (June 1-3), Gallup also asked Americans what they thought of Young Earth Creationism and Evolution, whether they believe them to be Definitely True, Probably True, Probably False, or Definitely False. 39% answered Young Earth Creationism is Definitely True, and 27% Probably True, a total of 66% support. 18% answered Evolution is Definitely True, and 35% Probably True, a total of 53% support.[1]


Answer Definitely True Probably True Probably False Definitely False No opinion
Creationism, that is, the idea that God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years 39% 27% 16% 15% 3%
Evolution, that is, the idea that human beings developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life 18% 35% 16% 28% 3%

--Joshua Zambrano 00:53, 25 July 2012 (EDT)

Changed column headers of poll to the actual poll wording. SharonW 10:11, 25 July 2012 (EDT)
Yeah - only reason I left those like that was because (A) it made for better column widths, and (B) I wasn't sure if Gallup would like the tables looking too identical. I figured it'd be safer for Fair Use purposes to show some differences. I'm fine with the changes though. --Joshua Zambrano 10:28, 25 July 2012 (EDT)
  1. 1.0 1.1 Gallup (2012).Evolution, Creationism, Intelligent Design.
  2. Newport, F. (2012, June 1).In U.S.,46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins. Gallup
Personal tools