Talk:Debate:If Jesus were alive to day, where on the political spectrum would he fall?
Do liberals encourage sin?
--orly 14:41 15 March 2007 (CED)
- Yes, I am.
- Bill Clinton will go down in history--however much longer our history will last--as an adulterer.
- And he has many, many supporters.
We have willing dames enough. There cannot be
that vulture in you to devour so many
as would to greatness dedicate themselves,
finding it so inclin'd.
- Liberal politicians always get a free pass on adultery. And theft, too--witness Rep. William Jefferson (D-LA).
- Liberals now dominate Hollywood--where the actors and actresses and directors and producers are awfully busy playing "musical beds." And their ethos, such as it is, informs the content of their work product. I don't go to more than one movie a year, and haven't for years. I have fellow churchmen who don't go to the movies at all--they wish never to darken the door of a motion-picture exhibition hall, because of the trash exhibited therein. And I can't blame them. They aren't missing much.
- As to theft, liberal programs amount to organized theft. If there's one thing that Jesus never would encourage, it is theft.
- Add to it their thoroughgoing yellow-ness in matters of peace and war.--TerryH 10:04, 15 March 2007 (EDT)
Excuse me, but please provide me a list of the times YOU have served in combat. I consider myself Liberal in many matters, but I have served this country for years. Calling someone yellow is an insult that in the good old days I would be justified in killing you for. Not that I would, because I value peace over war, but your comments reek of ad hominem tactics. -Gasmonkey
- I don't have to stand for threats. Be advised that if you do not retract it at once, then I shall report you on the Abuse page. They might take the matter straight to the FBI.
- Nor do I have to reply to the "chickenhawk" canard. Bill Clinton didn't serve in combat, either. Neither did his wife. Neither did Al Gore. Neither did Michael Moore.
- Now I don't know your particular position on the Iraq War, so I don't know whether you personally are yellow or not. (You want to declare yourself? Go right ahead, and then I'll judge what color you are.)--TerryH 12:07, 15 March 2007 (EDT)
I was not threatening you, merely illustrating that at one point in our mutual history calling someone "yellow" which is synonymous with "cowardly" was a grave insult that would lead to violence and possibly death. Labeling people as cowardly because they are liberal or have some liberal views is an ad hominem attack. Further, your list of democrats that did not serve in the military is most likely easily countered by a list of those that did, or of republicans that didn't.
As to my position on the Iraq war, I personally do not agree with it. However, I have spent three tours there, and I will quite possibly go back for a fourth. Now your little "yellow" comment about liberals would then mean that I am also a coward because I hold many liberal views. I would ask you not to throw around such insults until you yourself have spent time at a casualty collection point and had the opportunity to see first hand what a bullet does to a person's chest. -Gasmonkey, SSG, United States Army
- Coward? No--not in view of your demonstrated willingness to follow orders. You're a better man that, for example, John Kerry or John Edwards.
- No, where your fault lies is in not thinking the matter through--and in swallowing hook, line, and sinker the big con job that the Democratic Party and its house organs, the mainstream media, have been dishing out.--TerryH 13:56, 15 March 2007 (EDT)
- I was afraid you did...
- I do feel it is sad that you so lightly put all the "liberals" in one pack, closing in on, not racism (Racism is making broad generalizations about a group of people based on percieved notions, and then making such generalizations part of society), but very close indeed. I'm not saying that I don't do the same from time to time (we are after all only humans), but at least I'm here trying to se your side of things. (And in some places getting a good laugh as well. ^__^)
- I can tell you that I do visit a movie theatre as seldom as you do, and I perhaps should tell you that I don't encourage anyone to commit crimes or be unfaithfull, and I do consider myself as liberal and atheistic. Common sense takes you there as well you know.
- --orly 15:45 15 March 2007 (CED)
- Racism, you say? Are you, then, saying that the best liberals are born-and-bred? Your statement makes zero sense otherwise. In case you didn't know it, you don't have to be Caucasian to be conservative. Witness Walter E. Williams, Thomas Sowell, and Clarence Thomas.--TerryH 12:09, 15 March 2007 (EDT)
- And you don't have to be liberal to encourage sin. Or else why would the Bible Belt have a divorce rate almost 50% higher than the national average? That IS a sin, right?--Dave3172 12:15, 15 March 2007 (EDT)
Book V of The Brothers Karamazov does this nicely. The blind Grand Inquisitor recognizes the prisoner Jesus as the triune homoozious bit he is, and explains why he has to burn him as a heretic.