Talk:Essay: Gallery of obese atheists
CPalmer, could you assemble our overweight Christian brothers and sisters in a similar gallery? And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? (Matthew_1-9_(Translated)#7:3) Thanks, AugustO 09:10, 20 June 2012 (EDT)
- August, a couple of points in response to this:
- This isn't intended as a page in its own right, only as an adjunct to Atheism and obesity. It doesn't make sense to list the obese Christians in the absence of a Christianity and obesity page, although Thomas Aquinas would be a good one to start with.
- This is intended as satire, so there's no need to be comprehensive or authoritative, only funny and incisive.
- There's no mote in my eye in this case, since for all my many failings, I'm not obese (at time of writing). (You don't need to quote Matthew - I am familiar with the passage.)
- I don't really plan to spend much more time on this little page, so I hope I've answered your concerns satisfactorily.--CPalmer 09:19, 20 June 2012 (EDT)
- Dear CPalmer
- I dislike atheism and obesity, I think it's a badly written article on a meritless subject. It isn't much of a satire, neither, it isn't marked as an essay, so I'd expect it to adhere to the standards of an encyclopedia. Sadly, that's not the case. Perhaps the proposed gallery would help to give it some balance?
- In my experience, I was just kidding is often used as an lame excuse for ditching responsibility when someone is insulted...
- You are not obese? So you are not an atheist? This kind of reasoning is quite unsound...
- You created this page, certainly with the intention that someone links to it. It will pop up in Special:Search/gallery, where it certainly doesn't fit in well.
- But I suppose you are aware of all the above and you are just having a little fun, no harm done and all that...
- AugustO 09:33, 20 June 2012 (EDT)
- Dear CPalmer
- I agree with you that atheism and obesity could be improved, which is really why I created this page. Given the presence of this neatly organized gallery, I'm hoping a lot of the sections of Atheism and obesity that only exist to contain one picture could be taken out, which will make the article better. Again, I'm not adding anything new here, and I'm not insulting anyone who isn't already being amply insulted.
- I believe you've suggested in the past that Atheism and obesity should be deleted entirely. Well, that is not on the cards, so I hope you'd be in favor of alternative action that should at least tidy it up a bit and shorten it.--CPalmer 09:40, 20 June 2012 (EDT)
- I personally think that this page should be deleted. It is insulting, silly and childish, and makes everyone associated with it look bad. The same goes for the Gallery of obese Christians 'article'
Gallery of obese Christians
I took a quick look through our images and found the following:
AugustO 11:56, 24 June 2012 (EDT)
Re: the above gallery
Other commentary - Discussion moved to talk page of atheism and obesity article
- I like the inclusion of Santa Claus - most amusing.--CPalmer 09:55, 27 June 2012 (EDT)
- I hope you don't mind me adding some as I come across them. Thanks! --SharonW 16:02, 29 June 2012 (EDT)