Some pretty sweeping statements there. Not all illegals are Mexicans, and many of them do speak some English. Also, many American citizens do not speak English. Czolgolz 16:06, 22 March 2007 (EDT)
Misc ideas I just had
Seems to me the reason for so much illegal immigration is that it takes upwards of a decade to get citizenship. Maybe we should do something to streamline the process and make it easier to get citizenship? That gets rid of tax-dodging, insuranceless illegals working for less than minimum wage.
Also, I think that forcing schools to teach in two languages is crap, and what we need to do is to build special schools where immigrant children are given one year of intensified English language training, which will prepare them for learning in an English school curriculum. Just put them right where they left off in a normal school once they're done learning English.
Of course, we absolutely wouldn't have any of these problems if Mexico wasn't such a cesspool of subhuman living conditions around the border. Believe me, I've been there, and it's awful. People living in unfinished houses and whatnot.
I used to live in Mexico. They view their north the way we view our south...Czolgolz 11:44, 27 March 2007 (EDT)
WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?
Why does the entry for "Guatemalan" redirect to "Illegal Immigration?" I call RACISM! Jacobin 21:21, 15 April 2007 (EDT)
Illegal Immigration in Mexico
I used to live in Mexico. They were not kind to the illegals who came there from Central America. Maestro 18:53, 30 May 2007 (EDT)
It seems to me that some of the illegal immigration hysteria is based on prejudice. In New York City I hear the same things about Asians as about Hispanics. In northern New England I bet they're hysterical about French Canadians coming into the U.S. I have the impression that many people don't make a distinction between legal and illegal immigration. As long as the immigrants don't come from Europe, they're all considered illegal.Oldoligarch 17:46, 12 June 2007 (EDT)
While I agree that prejudice against all immigrants is common, and feeds mistrust and hatred of "illegals," you would be wrong to assert that people in New England have a hysterical dislike of French Canadian immigration. As someone who was born and raised in New England, whose grandfather was a French Canadian immigrant, I can confidently state this is a non-issue. Firstly, because there are comparatively few French Canadian immigrants, and secondly because the New England states are, and historically have been, very welcoming of people from across the country and the world. JEMBenton 18:38, 13 December 2009 (EST)
Like the Lady says:
Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I will build a fence to keep them out! PerpetualAngst 20:53, 19 June 2007 (PDT)
Fences at the Mexican border, fences in Palestine...fences everywhere...this is progress? Maestro 00:56, 20 June 2007 (EDT)
- No different than the fences in one's own yard. Karajou 15:03, 20 June 2007 (EDT)
- Just a little higher than the average Joe can jump.--Will N. 15:15, 20 June 2007 (EDT)
The debate over illegal immigration is thinly disguised racism. It used to be Irish, Swedes, Poles, Jews, Italians, Blacks, et al. that were ruining the country. Now it's Mexicans. Who's next?Panini 13:46, 21 July 2007 (EDT)
- Does that same standard apply to opposition to Mexican laborers goods being sold in the United States? If Mexican's are kept out because of racist laws, wouldn't laws that restrict, prohibit, or tax the fruit of their labor being sold in the US also be racist? Isn't opposition to free trade and NAFTA racist then, granting the special privilege of higher income by virtue of birth to US citizens, over foreigners, who can starve to death, for all we care? RobS 14:58, 22 July 2007 (EDT)
- I'm pretty sure none of what you just said makes any sense NRupert 22:35, 1 June 2008 (EDT)
crimes committed by illegal immigrants
what is the relevance of this section? NRupert 22:34, 1 June 2008 (EDT)
Welfare and ILLEGAL Immigrants
The article is about illegal immigration. The cite is about welfare paid to legal immigrants. NormanS 22:38, 6 August 2008 (EDT)
- And perhaps next time you revert another user perhaps you could consider raising the issue on the talk page yourself rather than leaving it to others. NormanS 22:38, 6 August 2008 (EDT)
The statement 'Many Mexicans will return to Mexico after they have made some money because they do not like certain aspects of American culture, such as the homosexual agenda, the abortion industry and teenage promiscuity' is not supported by any source in the article and seems like pure speculation. If a reputable source cannot be found, it must be removed. ABunny 13:23, 8 August 2008 (EDT)
- I dropped it. There once was a tendency to take to Mexico teenage daughters in order to control their sexuality. Since 2001 it is too hard to go back and forth and this practice seems to have fadedd away.RJJensen 15:34, 23 September 2008 (EDT)
The PRI is socialist only in name. in truth they are an oppressive right wing party that has always sided with landowners against the the poor. and they haven't "limited economic growth" either. the pri was instrumental in most of the free trade policies that are currently ravaging mexico.
Financial impact on the US Govt
Would it be appropriate to note that illegal immigration causes a net inflow of funds to the U.S. Government and a net outflow from state and local governments? There is a reason why the feds are not cracking down on illegal immigration, and part of it is probably that they are making a lot of money off of these immigrants who pay a lot of federal taxes under fake Social Security Numbers, but will never use enough federal services to get their money back. Tisane 23:24, 14 July 2010 (EDT)