I would really like to know how the writer of this article calculated that Kent is the closest part of England to Europe (especially since it is unsourced). Is this some weird definition of 'closest' from deep in the realms of non-Euclidean geometry? EmanresU 17:16, 16 July 2007 (EDT)
Especially since, technically speaking, it is IN EUROPE. All of the UK is equidistant from Europe, since all of the UK is part of Europe. PFoster 17:20, 16 July 2007 (EDT)
- I removed it as it makes no sense. Bohdan 17:21, 16 July 2007 (EDT)
Well, the narrowest section of the English Channel is the Straits of Dover, where mainland Kent is only 21 miles from mainland France. And don't forget that Kent and France actually share a "border" - albeit in the Channel Tunnel. So Kent is the closest part of England to mainland Europe. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. (And geographically speaking, the UK isn't "in" Europe: that's a political statement; it is more correct to say the UK is part "of" Europe. For now.) File:User Fox.png Fox (talk|contribs) 18:13, 16 July 2007 (EDT)
- Now it makes sense. Bohdan 18:16, 16 July 2007 (EDT)
- No it doesn't! If saying that the UK is in Europe is a political statement, what about saying that Corsica is in Europe? Or that Japan is in Asia? Or that Manhattan is in North America? For some respected organisations that disagree with Fox, try NATO, The United Nations, The Council of Europe, the CIA, and of course Wikipedia, unless they are all perhaps politically allied? I honestly don't see how being in Europe could possibly be different to being part of Europe: they both mean that the nation is wholly contained within the continent, which of course, Geologically, Geographically, culturally and politically, it is. Besides, the UK borders Ireland, which is also in Europe. Sorry for sounding so annoyed about something so minor, but this website can be completely bonkers sometimes. And I'm being very lenient by saying "sometimes". EmanresU 15:42, 17 July 2007 (EDT)
- Whatever, I really don't care too much about the accuracy of this bizarre website (I just feel a bit sorry for people who could be misinformed by it), but the source you gave even says that the English Channel "separates Great Britain from the REST of Europe". This isn't really very accurate anyway, since you could hardly claim that it separates Great Britain from Ireland, Iceland or Norway. Incidentally, it doesn't even say that Kent is the closest county to mainland Europe or to France (although this would be true, depending on your opinions about the Channel Tunnel, the Channel Islands, territorial waters and, I suppose, embassies), just that it sits on the narrowest part of the Channel. And my reply makes perfect sense. Did you read it?
- By the way, I just noticed the "for now" bit of your comment above. What does this mean? Do you plan to tow the British Isles somewhere else?EmanresU 17:13, 17 July 2007 (EDT)
Right. "So Kent is the closest part of England to mainland Europe." How is that wrong? How is that not very... simple... to ... understand...? File:User Fox.png Fox (talk|contribs) 18:25, 17 July 2007 (EDT)
- Wow, these extreme right wing people get annoyed really easily. I am incredibly sorry, I just saw what seemed like a glaring error and thought I would mention it in a light-hearted way. I am also slightly annoyed with the website at the moment (so didn't want to make things too easy for its editors) because I was recently blocked twice in quick succession (within about a minute by two different people) for no reason at all, and had to email one of them to be allowed to edit again. Apparently he did unblock me, but did not reply.
- If you are interested, I have just learned that (the Firefox spell-checker thinks that) gobbledygook is spelled with a y, though it doesn't really look right to me... EmanresU 14:58, 18 July 2007 (EDT)
- As explained several times above, it is NOT a glaring error; in fact it is simply your trolling for an argument and being miffed when you were proven wrong.
- I find your allegation that I am an "extreme right wing" person to be rather odious and somewhat moronic.
- Not making things easy for editors here is not the right attitude to take; it is also something I don't doubt you complain about on other sites as an attribute of admins here.
- Don't email me, because I won't unblock you.