|U.S. Senator from Texas|
From: January 3, 2013 - Present
|Predecessor||Kay Bailey Hutchison|
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
Ted Cruz (born December 22, 1970) is the junior United States Senator from Texas, having won the U.S. Senate seat vacated by Kay Bailey Hutchison in 2012. A conservative Republican, he is the former Solicitor General of Texas, the chief lawyer for the state before the U.S. Supreme Court. Cruz has authored more than eighty U.S. Supreme Court briefs and personally argued forty oral arguments, including nine before the U.S. Supreme Court. He graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School and served as a primary editor of the Harvard Law Review.
Cruz's father fought alongside the communist Fidel Castro in the Cuban Revolution when he was only 14 years old and was imprisoned three years later for his political activities. In 1957, he escaped to the United States. Today he is a pastor in Dallas. Cruz's mother is American. After Cruz was born in Alberta, Canada, the family moved to Texas. Cruz is a Southern Baptist, married with two children.
Cruz has been supported by the Tea Party movement, Tea Party Express, Club for Growth, FreedomWorks, the Family Research Council, Erick Erickson of RedState, Mark Levin, Senator Jim DeMint, Senator Rand Paul, Senator Pat Toomey, and former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin.
In the Texas Senate primary elections of May 29, 2012, Cruz forced a runoff with Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst. The pair emerged from a nine-candidate Republican field. On July 31, Cruz defeated Dewhurst in a second round of voting. Cruz easily defeated Democrat former State Representative Paul Sadler in the general election.
- Official Senate campaign website
- facebook page
- Twitter page
- Ted Cruz Videos
- Ted Cruz’s father delivers epic speech touting patriotism and lambasting Obama’s ‘socialist’ inclinations
- ↑ http://frontpagemag.com/2013/frontpagemag-com/senator-ted-cruz-confronting-the-threat-of-radical-islam/
- ↑ http://www.ontheissues.org/international/Ted_Cruz_Immigration.htm
- ↑ http://www.lifenews.com/2013/06/05/pro-life-senator-ted-cruz-to-address-national-right-to-life-convention/
- ↑ http://www.ontheissues.org/senate/Ted_Cruz.htm
- ↑ http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/09/09/marco-rubio-ted-cruz-and-their-craven-and-brazen-hypocrisy-on-syria.html
- ↑ http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/04/29/ted-cruz-mocks-squishes-in-republican-party/