The Media Institute
Friends & Benefactors Awards Banquet
Each year during National Freedom of Speech Week (www.freespeechweek.org), The Media Institute conducts an awards banquet. Since 1992, they have presented the Freedom of Speech award. Since 1994, they have presented the American Horizon award.
Freedom of Speech award
The award is given to an individual who has helped advance freedom of expression.
- 2007 - Tony Snow  White House Press Secretary and as a White House Advisor. Snow also hosted "FOX News Sunday".
- 2006 - Sumner M. Redstone Chairman CBS Corporation & Viacom
- 2005 - Roger Ailes Chairman & CEO Fox News
- 2004 - Bob Wright Chairman & CEO NBC Universal
- 2003 - Brian P. Lamb Chairman & CEO - C-SPAN
- 2002 - James Kennedy Chairman & CEO - Cox Enterprises
- 2001 - Barbara Cochran President - Radio-Television News Directors Assn.
- 2000 - Jeff Bezos CEO - Amazon.com
- 1999 - Comm. Michael K. Powell Federal Communications Commission
- 1998 - Robert Decherd President & CEO - A.H. Belo Corporation
- 1997 - Richard M. Schmidt, Jr. General Counsel - ASNE Cohn and Marks
- 1996 - Sen. Patrick J. Leahy U.S. Senate
- 1995 - Donald V. West - Editor & Senior Vice President - Broadcasting & Cable Magazine
- 1994 - Nadine Strossen - President - American Civil Liberties Union
- 1993 - John Seigenthaler - Chairman - The Freedom Forum
- 1992 - Richard E. Wiley - Senior Partner - Wiley Rein & Fielding
American Horizon Award
The award recognizes leadership in promoting the vitality and independence of American media and communications.
- 2007 - Kenneth W. Lowe President, CEO, Director - E. W. Scripps Company
- 2006 - Glenn A. Britt President & CEO - Time Warner Cable
- 2005 - David J. Barrett President & CEO - Hearst-Argyle Television, Inc.
- 2004 - Geraldine Laybourne Chairman & CEO - Oxygen Media
- 2003 - Dennis J. FitzSimons CEO - Tribune Company
- 2002 - Ralph J. Roberts Chairman - Comcast
- 2001 - Charles F. Dolan Chairman - Cablevision Systems Corp.
- 2000 - Robert L. Johnson Chairman & CEO - BET Holdings II
- 1999 - Decker Anstrom President & CEO - The Weather Channel
- 1998 - Steve Case Chairman & CEO - America Online, Inc.
- 1997 - Edward O. Fritts President & CEO - National Association of Broadcasters
- 1996 - John S. Hendricks Founder, Chairman & CEO - Discovery Communications, Inc.
- 1995 - Rep. Jack M. Fields, Jr. - U.S. House of Representatives
- 1994 - Frank J. Biondi, Jr. - President & CEO - Viacom Inc.
http://www.mediainstitute.org/ Official website