There Are No Atheists In Foxholes
Reverend William T. Cummings, who served at Bataan, is famous for declaring "There are no atheists in foxholes." In addition, Lieutenant Colonel Warren J. Clear, who also served at Bataan, used the expression in an interview printed in U.S. newspapers in the middle of April.
Chaplain F.W. Lawson of the 302d Machine Gun Battalion, who was wounded twice in wartime, declared "I doubt if there is such a thing as an atheist. At least there isn't in a front line trench." Henry More wrote: "In agony or danger, no nature is atheist. The mind that knows not what to fly to, flies to God."
|“||As a former soldier, I am delighted that our veterans are sponsoring a movement to increase our awareness of God in our daily lives. In battle, they learned a great truth-that there are no atheists in the foxholes. They know that in time of test and trial, we instinctively turn to God for new courage…Whatever our individual church, whatever our personal creed, our common faith in God is a common bond among us.||”|
In addition, many prominent atheists have refused to debate Christian apologists (see: Atheism and cowardice and Creation scientists tend to win the creation vs. evolution debates).
On the other hand, the organization Freedom from Religion claimed that there are atheists in foxholes;  leader Anne Nicol Gayler has said “The membership of the Freedom From Religion Foundation includes many veterans from World War II, Korea and Vietnam." The Military Religious Freedom Foundation represents self-declared atheists in the US military, many of whom have served in Iraq or Afghanistan.
In recent years the organization Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers has taken up use of the slogan "Atheists in Foxholes" as a list of those men and women who serve the country while lacking a belief in a god.
- Atheists doubting the validity of atheism
- Attempts to dilute the definition of atheism
- The question atheists fear
- Atheism and cowardice
- Weak atheism
- Atheism Quotes
- Causes of Atheism
- I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
- American Dialect Society Regarding the Origin of the the Phrase "There are no atheists in foxholes"
- There Are No Atheists In Foxholes by God and country
- LARRY GATLIN: There Are No Atheists In Foxholes -- Or In Coal Mines
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0609D&L=ads-l&P=15696
- ↑ http://www.websters-dictionary-online.org/definition/english/at/atheist.html
- ↑ Dwight Eisenhower: There are No Atheists in Foxholes
- ↑ http://www.ffrf.org/outreach/atheists-in-foxholes/
- ↑ http://www.militaryatheists.org/expaif.html Atheists in Foxholes