The term token conservative describes the lip service paid by the mainstream, liberal media to so-called fairness. The typical offering from the mainstream media is a single moderate, so-called conservative speaker, reporter, columnist among hundreds of fellow liberal employees. This person's view is almost exclusively "New World" moderate and they would most likely find more in common with their liberal counterparts than with their own conservative base. On occasion, a single true conservative such as Bill Kristol finds employment with the mainstream media, but it never lasts because of their commitment to real conservative viewpoints. The liberal media demands that they hire their brand of conservative—one that will attack other conservatives.
Token Conservative Views
- New York Times—Ross G. Douthat
According to the New York Times, Douthat’s writing “steers away from partisanship — he frequently criticizes Republicans — or doctrine." Douthat said "‘I’m sort of a squishy pro-lifer,’ interested in finding areas of compromise."
"What is irrational is the failure of conservatives and Republicans to perceive the divergence between Fox’s interests and their own." 
Rush Limbaugh Is "A Walking Stereotype Of Self-Indulgence" 
Speaking about Palin, “This is a woman who has got into a position of leadership by sending very powerful sexual signals,” Frum told reporter Judy Woodruff. “And we see that in the way that men like her much more than women do.”
"..how conservative the Republican Party's become, they've got it backwards. We have not been conservative as a party, we've been radical." 
Scarborough writes a book titled The Last Best Hope: Restoring Conservatism and America's Promise. To promote the release he visits with many left-leaning media outlets and trashes all well known conservatives; Rush Limbaugh, Karl Rove, Newt Gingrich and more.
- Washington Post—George Will (evolutionist/creation denier and self-proclaimed "heathen" and agnostic)
- Washington Post—Charles Krauthammer (pro-abortion evolutionist/creation denier, former Walter Mondale speech writer)
- Washington Post—Jennifer Rubin
Rubin writes a blog titled "Right Turn", but the only direction she goes is left. She sounds like a leftist Democrat in her blog posts. She calls the Republican Party a "party of all white, angry, abusive men" and during the 2016 election she has attacked Donald Trump (who is much more bold for conservative issues than RINOs like Romney or McCain, which she likely supports), likely, in every single blog post she has made, even in the general election and after the election. She mocks conservative evangelical Christians, calling them "evangelical charlatans", and she borrows leftist attack lines against conservative Republicans. She supports the homosexual agenda. She advocates for "center-right" politics (whatever that even means) but attacks solid conservatives.
Most liberal media conservatives share the following viewpoints;
- RINO "big tent" inclusive party
- Lacking principled stances on issues
- Attack solid, principled conservatives
- Republicans must compromise or concede to liberals on social issues, they claim
- Claim to know what is the best for the Republican party
- Write books which nobody reads
- NY Times Hires Its Version of A Conservative to Write Op-Ed Column
- NBC 'Today' Turns to Leftist and a Moderate for Advice on GOP Comeback
- Krauthammer on NYT’s David Brooks: ‘He’s not a conservative’, Daily Caller, July 8, 2011
- Must We Make It so Easy for Obama? NewMajority.com, April 14, 2009
- Why Rush is wrong Newsweek, March 7, 2009
- Scarborough: Today's GOP is Not Too Conservative It's Too Radical Newsbusters.org, May 3, 2009
- Joe Scarborough Conservative Bashing Book Tour Flops Bigtime NewsBusters.org, June 20, 2009
- On Darwin, evolution and Congress, George Will, Pocono Record, February 8, 2009
- Look Who's Turning
- Giuliani's Abortion 'Gaffe', Charles Krauthammer, The Washington Post, May 11, 2007
- Phony Theory, False Conflict, Charles Krauthammer, The Washington Post, November 18, 2005
- Rubin, Jennifer (October 26, 2016). Trump’s party of angry, white, abusive males. The Washington Post. Retrieved October 27, 2016.
- Rubin, Jennifer (November 21, 2016). #NeverTrump must become #TheResistance. The Washington Post. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- Rubin, Jennifer (October 26, 2016). Sane Republicans should pack their bags and flee the GOP. The Washington Post. Retrieved October 27, 2016.
- Rubin, Jennifer (November 21, 2013). The marriage mission. The Washington Post. Retrieved October 27, 2016.