University of South Florida
|University of South Florida|
|Sports:||baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, sailing, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field, volleyball|
The University of South Florida (or USF) is a Florida public university founded in 1956. It was ranked a third tier school in US News's 2008 "National Universities: Tier 3" list. In spite of its name, it is not located in the southern part of the state, but rather in Tampa, which is in the west-central part of the state.
The school was founded to address the needs of the expanding urban population. The first students entered the school on September, 26, 1960. In 1965 the school became accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools; the accreditation was last reaffirmed in 2005, and the next scheduled review is in 2015.
The USF football program has won 1 bowl game (while losing 1). The very fact that the program can compete strongly in Division I football is amazing, given that the school's football program did not start until the late 1990s.
- ↑ Official Athletics Website of the University of South Florida (English) (HTML). University of South Florida.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 History (English) (HTML). University of South Florida.
- ↑ National Universities: Tier 3 (English) (HTML). US News.
- ↑ Accreditation (English) (HTML). University of South Florida.
- ↑ SOUTH FLORIDA FOOTBALL HISTORY DATABASE (English) (HTML). National Champs.