Miscellaneous general financial and business websites:
Other economic and business sources:
- Reason.com Reason.com - libertarian, secular
- Captain Capitalism - libertarian, ant-feminist, secular
- Cato Institute - libertarian, secular
- Merk Insights
Austrian and other financial:
From Invest in Yourself by Mark Eisenson, Gerri Detweiler, and Nancy Castleman:
"According to Gerald Celente, Director of the Trends Research Institute and author of Trends 2000, the key to tracking trends is to read two newspapers every day with a purpose — either The Wall Street Journal or The Financial Times, plus The New York Times or USA Today. Look for stories with social, economic, and political significance, be it about the difficulties older suburbs face or the current currency crisis. (You’ll know by the headline or the first paragraph.) Skip the stories that are purely human interest or that are about something that hasn’t happened yet (for example, a jury resuming deliberation on a sensational trial).
When a crisis does occur, tune in to the extra in-depth analyses that you’ll find in accompanying background pieces probably in more than one of the newspapers. Read them as though you’re a “political atheist,” Celente recommends — not for what you want or hope, but for what is really going on, not only in your own profession or industry, but for trends that may directly or indirectly shape the future.
Rather than searching for decent jobs that are very hard to find, some Americans are deciding to become self-employed. Robert P. Murphy, an economist at the Mises Institute, recommends that one of the best measures to protect against a future economic depression is to develop multiple streams of income rather than risk depending on one or two income sources which may disappear in a depression. Americans are using creative ways to launch a wide variety of low cost businesses.
Market volatility strategies:
CAN SLIM investing
- Can Slim investing
- William O'Neil's Investors Business Daily. News, tutorials, commentary
- IBD's CAN SLIM(R) Investing System Outperforms: +1521.7 vs. S&P 500 +54.92
- CANSLIM.net offerring FREE and paid resources for CAN SLIM(R) investors since 1996
- CANSLIM.com - Offers an opt-in mailing list for a daily breakouts report
The decade of the CIVETS - Colombia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Egypt, Turkey and South Africa
- Why the tech boom is not yet in bubble land
- British tech and poor allocation of capital due to patronage
- Social media funding going into other tech sectors given poor social media monetizing of traffic and superfast broadband and wireless access growing
Meltdown on Main street - NewsMax - High dividend stock strategy and other strategies
"Bob Wiedemer, co-author with Tom Hutchinson of America's Bubble Economy and the New York Times best-selling book "Aftershock", discussed the topic, "Meltdown on Main Street on a program aired by Newsmax. He discussed the rapid extinction of the American middle class — a social and economic catastrophe that has impacted people's ability to achieve prosperity. He is offering a program called The Middle-Class Survival Package, and it includes a brand-new, full-feature DVD presentation, Fortified Income Strategies, and Tom's new book, Powerful Secrets to Achieve Superior Returns."
Dogs of the Dow strategy making resurgence
MOAT Strategy - Warren Buffet - Value Investing - morningstar
20 stocks for the long term
Other investing and stock trading resources
1. Intelligent investor - classic book on value investing
2. Lies your broker tells you - gives advice on investing including reputable mutual funds
Investment strategies - Google news
Absolute return strategies and economic climates
Yale University uses an absolute return strategy which is responsive to economic climates. Has achieved consistent returns. Austrian school economists have had superior predicting of downturns as of late compared to Keynesian economists.
1. Stockinvesting.net (trading not long term investing)
3. Martin D. Weiss
- How to profit during a recession
- Shorting the market during an economic crash
- Measuring market sentiment
Banning of short selling in a crisis:
- Banning of short selling in a crisis and 2012/2013 prediction of economic collapse from a leading hedge fund manager
Elliot wave theorists - speculative and subjective - at odds with efficient market hypothesis
(Technical analysis only goes so far and studying the fundamentals and value investing have yielding excellent results)
Making money during the expected upcoming recession or depression
Agriculture and food investing
Government money printing strengthens commodities which includes food commodities, world population expected to grow to 9 billion by 2050, stability - in a down economy people still have to eat - ag and food stocks will quickly rebound from a down market or market panic, opposition to science/evidence based increases in crop yields will likely wither when push comes to shove and people need to be fed and second green revolution will happen. Science based initiatives to increase crop yields will see increased advocacy - especially in developing countries which are increasing in their influence such as India.
Good food stock investments:
- Food stocks - simple yet smart investment - stock suggestions
- Best food stocks -2012
- Food stocks - 2010
Specific ag and food companies:
- AGCO (International plus India investments in ag - TAFE Tractors)
- Deer and company (own areas outside of ag eqpt too]
Gold and silver
- Are gold bugs pessimistic or realistic?
- Charlie Morris, head of absolute return at HSBC Global Asset Management, says gold remains the most powerful trend in the world and his team's forecast of $2,600 an ounce still looks realistic
- Marc Faber/physical gold
- Physical gold, gold stocks, ETFs
- Physical gold vs. gold stocks
- Gold and silver sellers
- Gold Mutual funds
- Elevation Group
Best real estate investments
Best international real estate investments
Real estate investing
Cash is king:
Real estate selling, landlording and mortgage loan origination
Real estate sales, lead generation:
Mortgage loan officer brokers, income:
Landlording (classic book)
Conforming Mortgage Loans
Debt to income ratio and other criteria:
The decline/death of cash
Miscellaneous stocks in a online economy, global economy and/or rebounding economy
- UPS - online shopping and international package delivery
- Fed Ex - online related shopping and international related shipping
Major economies and total debt to GDP
Trends, Predictions and stats
People who predicted 2008 crisis:
Predictions and stats:
- US government intelligence agencies see possible economic collapse, resource wars, the potential fall of America by 2030
US federal govt debt as a percentage of GDP: http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/federal_debt_chart.html
- Expected Congressional gridlock and Federal Reserve Quantitative Easing policy will not work and stock market could take an abrupt downturn in about 6 months or less.
Effects of global financial collapse:
- Free advice - economist Robert Murphy's blog
Historical documentary on American deficit:
- Are The Wild Teacher Protests In Wisconsin A Prelude To The Economic Riots That Are Coming Soon To America?
Potential economic collapse:
- 27 facts about the US economy
- 50 facts every American should know about the U.S. economy heading in a downward spiral.
- 20 questions to ask someone who believes the U.S. financial crises is over.
- How the middle class is shrinking
- Shrinking middle class in America
Comparison of current crises to the 17 century economic problems
The leading investment expert Harry Schultz writes: “Roughly speaking, the mess we are in is the worst since 17th century financial collapse. Comparisons with the 1930’s are ludicrous. We’ve gone far beyond that. And, alas, the courage & political will to recognize the mess & act wisely to reverse gears, is absent in U.S. leadership, where the problems were hatched & where the rot is by far the deepest.”
East and economics
Michael Spence - Interview re: his book The Next Convergence
- Uncommon Knowledge w/ Michael Spence global economy part I
- Uncommon Knowledge w/ Michael Spence innovation - governance and global economy part 2
- Uncommon Knowledge w/ Michael Spence India - part 3
- Uncommon Knowledge w/ Michael Spence India part 4
- Uncommon Knowledge w/ Michael Spence - China + India future influence on the West and the global economy
India and investing
- Amansa Capital
- Akash Prakash - Business Standard
- Akash Prakash - Google news
- India and foreign capital
China vs. India economies - Which has the best prospects?
Demographic winter/Aging Population and economics
American echo boomers assisting economy:
- America's falling birth rate and economic impact
- Demographic winter - Human Events
- Demographic winter and the barren left
- Demographic winter - Christian newswire
- Demographic Winter - full movie
Demographic winter may not be as bad as first thought:
Religious vs. secular birthrates:
Dent Method of investing:
- Dent method of investing
- Harry Dent's outlook on demographics, debt and deflation - Seeking Alpha, 9/2010
- Harry Dent Jr.'s poor predictions
India, economics and fertility statistics:
World population, to 2050 - UN forecast:
U.S. Hispanics and economics:
- Economist - fertility and economic data - has some raw data that is useful and some poor opinions and poor conclusions
US financial position and national deficit
- Financial position of the US
- US National deficit - George Will - Many Americans are ideologically conservative and operationally liberal
- US National debt as percentage of GDP by presidential administrations graph
- US National debt as percentage of GDP by presidential administrations - chart
- Decline and fall of the American empire
Sound advice from King Solomon
Proverbs 10:12: "If you are slack in the day of distress, Your strength is limited."
Proverbs 21:5: "The plans of the diligent lead surely to advantage, But everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty."
- After 3 years eurocrisis easing for perhaps a year as stopgap measures are working
- Europe's debt crises mirrors 1930s
General financial collapse:
- Financial collapse blog
- Social collapse - best practices
- The 5 stages of collapse
- Economic collapse will not be a single event - Eft daily news
Morality and financial collapse
Beck: Nancy Pelosi, Richard Trumka and the Lasting Lesson from 'Three Little Pigs' by Glenn Beck
Diversification and asset classes
- Did Diversification Fail in 2008? - Morningstar Video
- Vanguard - 2008 and diversification
- Commodity investing basics and increasing diversification through commodities
Annuities and long bear market cycles
Most Business friendly states in the United States - 2012
Work and business
Difficult places to live
Recession/depression resistance businesses
Recession/depression resistance businesses and low cost businesses:
Recession resistant businesses:
High profit businesses:
- Seth Godin's free e-book: Stop stealing dreams - Schools operating under model of creating compliant factory workers instead of creators of growing businesses
Small business and internet
- Small business, economic growth and local communities
- Will Obama move to help small business?
- Optimizing SBA loan approval
Internet economy and small business people
In 2011, CNN Money recently wrote:
- "While the Internet's impact has also killed some jobs, it creates about 2.6 jobs for every one destroyed"
- "Companies using the Internet with a high intensity grow twice as quickly as low-intensity Web companies, export twice as much as they do, and create more than twice as many jobs."
- "In the United States alone, the Internet drove 15% of the country's economic growth between 2004 and 2009"
Independent internet workers vs. other workers:
In November of 2011, CNBC reported:
"MBO Partners found just the opposite. Nearly 80 percent of independent workers in the survey say they are highly satisfied (58 percent) or satisfied (21 percent) with their work situation; just 11 percent are dissatisfied. Only 19 percent plan on looking for a traditional job in the next 24 months. Instead, 63 percent plan to continue as independent workers; 12 percent say they want to build their operations into businesses with employees."
In 2010, the popular news website The Week reported that only 45% of workers reported liking their jobs, so clearly independent workers are much happier with their working life than the average worker.
IT jobs still strong
Protestant work ethic
Academic research indicates that belief in hell/heaven and various religious heritages are associated with increased economic activity and lower corruption.  The biblical creation affirming United States has a high GDP relative to many evolution believing countries.