World History Homework Four Answers - Student Fifteen
1. Who is your favorite Roman emperor, and why?: My favorite Roman emperor is Marcus Aurelius. Unlike previous emperors, Aurelius was compassionate and cared for the weak and less fortunate.
2. Describe what the Roman Republic and the Roman Empire were, including approximate dates: The Roman Republic was established in 509 B.C. and began with the overthrow of the Roman monarchy. The Roman Republic was formed to be a country without a King or an Emperor.
The Roman Empire was the post-Republican phase of the ancient Roman civilization, it lasted from 27 B.C. to A.D. 476. The Roman Empire received its name from the western capital, Rome, which was the first city of the empire.
- Superb, may use as a model answer.
3. Compare and contrast the Roman Empire in the West with the Byzantine Empire: There are many similarities between the two empires, for example, both Empires were ruled by one man and both empires were looking to expand their power by continuously conquering land. Of course they both had their differences as well. The main language of the Roman Empire was Latin where as the Byzantine Empires main language was Greek.
- Excellent again!
4. Comment on the significance of the Roman language, Latin: Roman law and Roman legions are two things that made the Roman Empire such a success, the third thing is the Language, Latin. Latin was a very important part of the Roman Empire. It became an effective means of communicating and was very powerful. Some of the Latin phrases are still used today.
5. Explain what Pax Romana was: Pax Romana lasted from 27 B.C. to A.D. 180. It was established by the Caesar Augustus and is sometimes called “Pax Augusta”. It was a period of peace, and in Latin it’s known as “the Roman peace”.
- Good again.
H6. Attila the Hun: discuss this remarkable person. Attila the Hun was leader of the Huns from 434 until his death in 453. Attila was one of the bravest leaders. He invaded the Balkans twice and marched through Gaul as far as Orleans before being defeated at the Battle of Chalons. Attila is known as being one of the most fearsome of the Western and Eastern Roman Empires enemies.
- Superb, need an apostrophe after "Empires" near the end to reflect its possessive form.
7. Challenging question (choose "a" or "b"): (a) all of world history so far in this course can be attributed either to God paving the way for Jesus, or the devil creating obstacles for Him. Discuss: I think that both have happened so far. But mainly from what I have seen, the devil has been creating many obstacles for him. The devil is the root of all evil and is constantly trying to tear us down. That’s where Jesus comes in. He is here to forgive us for all of our evil desires, which makes the devil irate. Therefore the devil is constantly finding obstacles to put in the way.
- Excellent, also high quality like the model answers!
- Perfect! 70/70. Congratulations!--Andy Schlafly 15:15, 3 March 2009 (EST)