World History Homework Seven Answers - Student Nineteen
You can substitute in a question from honors into your regular assignment, if you are not in honors. You can also substitute in a question raised from class or the lecture.
1.Approximately when and where did the Renaissance occur?
The Renaissance occurred mainly in Europe in the time period 1300-1600.
- Good, but need to be more specific. (Minus 1).
2. Martin Luther: who was he, what did he do, and when did he do it?
Martin Luther was a German monk who found some discrepancies in the way that Pope Leo X was gathering funds for Saint Peter’s Basilica. Martin Luther tried to correct these discrepancies on Oct 31 1517, but was not as well trained in politics as he should have been to take on these problems. So Martin Luther found himself exiled and was declared an outlaw so he went undercover and while undercover translated the Bible from Greek to German. When he came out of hiding he utilized the Gutenberg printing press and printed his Bible. This gave rise to the new religion of Lutheranism.
- Good again, but not completely precise. For example, the issue was not "discrepancies" in how funds were handled, but in the selling of "indulgences". Also, Luther did not merely start "Lutheranism", but he started the Reformation.
3. What was the Baroque style, and what was its motivation?
The baroque style was a style of art, music, etc. that utilized vibrant colors and was very grand and bright or elaborate. The baroque art and music was encouraged by the Roman Catholic Church when there was a demand for a new style of art.
4. Summarize the history of the English language.
The English language originated in A.D. 450 when Germanic tribes settled in England. But the language developed there is known as “Old English” and is not spoken today. Old English was spoken up until the Norman invasion in 1066, and then a new brand of English known as Middle English was spoken. Modern English began after the middle ages.
5. Chinese dynasties (any one or all), Vietnam, Korea and Cambodia: take your pick and write about one.
The Tang Dynasty was a very important dynasty that greatly furthered China’s administrative and judicial system. Firstly, the Tang Dynasty helped the administrative system by forming a new one that replaced the administrative system that had arisen in the third to fourth century. The Tang Dynasty also created the first complete Chinese code of law, which still exists. The Tang dynasty also tried to distribute land equally to the peasants, giving the peasant families “Life Plots”.
6. Why did the Renaissance occur in Europe, and not in other areas of the world, such as Asia?
The Renaissance occurred in Europe because Europe was the most artistically developed and was most ready for a renaissance. Also Europe benefited from many great artists that helped to bring the renaissance about.
- OK, but this seems slightly circular in reasoning.
7. Current events: Who would you describe as "Machiavellian" today, and why?
I would describe Hillary Clinton as Machiavellian because no matter what happens she always manages to manipulate people and come out on top. Even though she lost the Presidential election she still manages to become Secretary of State and be in an extremely powerful position. This shows that Hillary is able to manipulate people until she gets what she wants, and I find that very Machiavellian.
Honors Questions (answer any 3 in addition to the above questions)
H1. What are the particular strengths and advantages of the English language?
The strength of the English language is that it is the most widely spoken language in the world so regardless of where you go most of the time there will be people that speak your language. Also the English language is very good at expressing certain words.
- Superb, I think you mean "expressing certain ideas."
H3. What was the effect of the Reformation, or what is your view of it?
The effect of the reformation was that it split the Catholic church and caused there to be many different Christian churches. It also and lessened power among Christians because Christians began to quarrel over many different problems that would not have arisen otherwise.
- Good answer.
H7. Dante's great work about Hell: something we should hear more about today? Your view, please.
I think that Dante’s work on hell, the “Inferno” is a very important piece, because I do not think that many people acknowledge hell as a real issue in their lives, and they do not think about the consequences of their actions. Because of this I think that people are more likely to commit crimes and do wrong things. So I think that we should hear more about Dante’s “Inferno”.
- Terrific answer, would have been in the model answers! Maybe I can still add it ...
- 99/100. Well done!--Andy Schlafly 10:09, 29 March 2009 (EDT)