World History Homework Seven Answers - Student One
1.Approximately when and where did the Renaissance occur?
The Renaissance transpired from the 1300s to the 1600s and is greatly known for its impact on the history of Europe. Renaissance was the ending page of the Middle Ages and the beginning of a whole knew perspective on the formation and intellectual progress of the world. The Renaissance was very similar to the Golden Ages of Classical Rome and Greece when everyone prospered and new discoveries were made. This period was correctly named because “Renaissance”, which means “rebirth”, comes from French. The Renaissance was an era of competition between artists and architects for fame and glory. People wanted to “make their mark” in history.
- Terrific analysis. A few minor grammatical points: "whole new," not "whole knew." Also "greatly known" could be improved to "best known."
2. Martin Luther: who was he, what did he do, and when did he do it?
Martin Luther was a German monk in the Renaissance period and he greatly affected the unfolding of the Protestant beliefs. He was born in 1483 and died in 1546 and is known today as the father of Protestantism. Martin was a law student when God saved him from a dangerous lighting storm, so he fulfilled his promise to God by becoming a monk in the Roman Catholic Church. He was later excommunicated and founded his own group of believers who later became known as the Protestants. Martin Luther’s ideas and beliefs helped begin the Protestant Reformation which affected the course of Western civilization.
3. What was the Baroque style, and what was its motivation? The Baroque style, which began during the 17th century in Rome, consisted of drama and splendor in all forms of art. The Roman Catholic Church supported the Baroque style since they believed that art should convey religious themes with emotion. Baroque can be used to describe something that is elaborate and has many intricate details. The aristocracy believed that this style would attract many visitors and that it could successfully express power and control. The Baroque style helped capture all the drama that was brought to life in a painting in elaborate details.
- Superb, may use as a model!
4. Summarize the history of the English language.
English, which originated from the Anglo-Frisian dialects, is a West Germanic language. Germanic settlers brought over the Anglo-Frisian dialects to Britain from northwest Germany and the Northern Netherlands. Old English was created with many different dialects which were mostly Late West Saxon, but it was also affected by speakers of the Scandinavian branch and the Normans. Because of these two invasions, English is now a “mixed” language to some extent. Since English flourished by borrowing from others, it now has a voluminous and diverse vocabulary.
- Tremendous, may use as a model also!
5. Chinese dynasties (any one or all), Vietnam, Korea and Cambodia: take your pick and write about one.
Vietnam, a country located in East Asia, did not gain its independence until A.D. 939 after the fall of the Tang dynasty. During the reign of the Lu dynasty its current capital, Hanoi, was established. Vietnam is known for is violent fighters who are willing to give up anything for success. To prove their strength, the Vietnamese in the late ___ defeated the attempts of the brutal and powerful Mongols to conquer their capital. Compared to China, the treatment of women in Vietnam was less severe. I think Vietnam is a proud country which must have constantly competed with China for fame and wealth.
- Good analysis, but it looks like you meant to fill in a date there!
7. Current events: Who would you describe as "Machiavellian" today, and why?
I would describe Bernard Madoff as a “Machiavellian” since he used many innocent people’s hard earned money for his benefit. He had no concern how it would immensely affect many people’s lives. He used many people and their wealth to help him gain a massive profit for himself. He lied and tricked people into thinking that he could gain more interest for them than other companies could. Since this was all a fraud, the people who invested with him lost all their money. When they heard that Madoff could make more money for them, their greed suffocated reason and in return they lost everything. The term “Machiavellian” is a perfect word to describe Madoff and his schemes.
- Terrific answer, and your writing is fabulous ("their greed suffocated reason and in return they lost everything"). Note, however, that Machiavelli was talking more about government power than investments. But you're right that there are strong similarities.
H1. What are the particular strengths and advantages of the English language?
The English Language is gifted with many advantages since it was derived from many other dialects or languages. It has such an enormous and wide-ranged vocabulary that many people can express exactly how they feel. With some other languages it is difficult to express different things because the words just do not exist in their dialect. Many foreign people can get a feeling for the English language because it may have originated from the same dialect as their language. Many of the languages in the world come to us from the Roman and Greek languages and alphabet. I think one of the reasons that America has prospered so much over the years is that their common language, English, has such an abundant and fruitful dialect.
- Right. Very well put!
- Superb answers. 70/70. Congratulations.--Andy Schlafly 20:35, 19 March 2009 (EDT)